Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle like prior to your transformation?
Enjoying fatty foods and junk, drinking lots of soft drinks. Not exercising and spending my day inside playing video games.
What was your low point or turning point?
Just not having the confidence to take my shirt of at the beach or pool.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
The hardest thing was sticking to a strict diet and cutting out the junk food I once loved.
Please provide a timeline including when you started the transformation, and include major milestones:
- Transformation Start: My 17th birthday came and I told my parents to sign me up at the 24-hour gym for an 18-month contract.
- Milestone: Gaining knowledge about training and dieting.
- Milestone: Following a proper training routine and diet.
- Milestone: Dropping body fat% and being able to do weighted dips for the first time.
- Milestone: Gaining muscle mass.
- Transformation End: January 2012.
Dean's Training Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
Throughout my transformation I changed my workout split around to shock my body a few times but the one I most enjoyed was:
- Monday: Chest and Calves
- Tuesday: Quads and Hamstrings
- Wednesday: Biceps and Triceps
- Thursday: Shoulders and Traps
- Friday: REST DAY
- Saturday: Back and Abs
Please add a workout that worked best for you:
|Chest and Calves|
|Incline Bench Press||3||8-10|
|Decline Dumbbell Bench Press||3||8-10|
|Seated Calf Raise||3||15-18|
|Standing Calf Raise||3||18-20|
|Quads and Hamstrings|
|Biceps and Triceps|
|Close Grip Bench Press||4||8|
|Seated Hammer Curl||3||8|
|Shoulders and Traps|
|Seated Overhead Press||4||8|
|One Arm Side Lateral Raise||3||8|
|Dumbbell Front Raise||3||8|
|Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Flye||3||10|
|Back and Abs|
|Wide Grip Pull Up||3||6|
|Lat Pull Down||3||8|
|Bent Over Row||3||8|
|Decline Weighted Crunch||3||15-20|
|Plank||3||120, 120, 60 seconds|
|Hanging Leg Raise||3||10|
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
I didn’t really focus on doing much cardio at the gym because I was trying to gain weight and size but I had football training twice a week which helped with dropping bf%.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Compound movements are paramount.
- Change your routine every so often to avoid plateauing.
- You must have consistency in training intensity.
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
In terms of reps and sets I’m doing 4 sets on compounds with 6-8 reps and 8-10 on isolations.
Dean's Diet And Supplement Plan
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
Can you give an example of what your daily meal plan looks like?
- Meal 1: Oats with water and 3 eggs.
- Meal 2: 1 scoop whey protein, 2 serves of fruit, handful of almonds, canned tuna and one tablespoon peanut butter.
- Meal 3: 1 cup brown rice with either tuna or chicken and bean mix or spinach, avocado slices and steamed broccoli.
- Meal 4: (Post workout): 2 scoops whey protein.
- Meal 5: Kangaroo steak with steamed veggies and 1 cup brown rice.
- Meal 6 (before bed): 100g cottage cheese or 1 scoop casein protein.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
Thinking carbs were bad at the start so I stopped eating them.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Carbs are not your enemy!
- Good fats must be included into your diet.
- Dieting is the biggest key to transform your body.
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
I don’t like to, once every month or so but nothing over the top.
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
Advice For Others
What are your best 3 tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Set realistic goals to achieve.
- Food over supplements any day, although supplements are a great addition to your diet.
- Get heaps of sleep and rest to recover and GROW.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
Watch bodybuilding motivational videos, setting realistic goals to break every so often and having a mindset that just ok or good is never good enough, you want to be the best.
Your Life Now
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
A big increase in self-esteem and confidence. Also an increase in energy levels throughout the day. People ask me for training advice instead of me asking for it.
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
Seeing results makes me want more and more, bodybuilding videos and posters, people asking for advice and THE PUMP!
Anything else you would like to share?
Believe in yourself and you will accomplish what you want.
How Can People Contact You?
How can people contact you?
- Email: [email protected]