Selecting the right workout routine is crucial for reaching yourgoals. People who don't
choose the right plan aresetting themselves up for failure. Here are our top 8 tips forselecting a
- Select a workout routine that's designed for your experiencelevel. Seems simple right? Many people who
are justgetting started lifting still choose workout plans that aredesigned for experienced lifters and
pro bodybuilders.You will get much faster results from a plan that suits yourexperience. If you're just
starting out, find a beginner workout.
- Be clear about your goals. When we polled our readers and askedtheir main goal the highest response was
“build muscleand lose fat". Unless you're a beginner or taking steroids, thisis extremely hard to
achieve. Think about yourgoal before selecting a workout routine. Do you want to buildmuscle or lose fat
first? Do you want to improveyour sports performance? Do you want to increase endurance? Theclearer you
are about your goal the easier it isgoing to be to find the right plan and the better your resultswill
- Think about your lifestyle and select a workout that fits. Don'ttry and fit a 5-6 day workout routine
into youralready busy lifestyle. You'll skip days, not recover properlyand ultimately fail. You would
have been betteroff with a workout plan that only requires 3 days in the gym.Think about how much time
you can realistically putin working out.
- Choose a workout routine you know you'll be able to stick withfor the full duration. Most workout plans
are designedfor a set period. 8-10 weeks for example. You're not going toget the best results if you
only follow the routinefor 4-5 weeks. This is something you should definitely look outfor in
periodization routines as the workload oftenincreases as you progress through the workout.
- Know your body type
beforeselecting a workout plan. Most new liftersdon't understand how body types affect results.For
example, a 6'2" man with a thin build often gets totallydifferent results from the same workout than a
5'5"heavy set man. It's important you understand your own body typeand what workout to use to maximize
- Have realistic expectations. You've seen the magazine covers andfitness models on Instagram. Don't
expect theseresults in the first 3 months of training. If you set yourexpectations too high you're bound
to lose motivationand give up. These people have often been working out for over10 years and do this as
a full time job. So setsmall goals for improving your physique and don't compare toothers.
- Pick a plan you can do with a workout partner. Motivation is keyto long term results in all aspects of
fitness.Training with a partner is awesome. Workouts are more fun andyou can keep each other motivated.
Choose a workoutpartner that is slightly better than you. Meaning, if your goalis fat loss, they're
slightly leaner. If your goalis muscle building then they're slightly bigger and stronger.This will
bring out your competitive spirit as youtry and match them when you're training.
- Read reviews/comments on workouts before trying them. Ourworkouts database has over 25,000 comments.
Often peoplewill talk about the results they have got after using a plan.Read these comments and see if
the comment authorhas similar goals to you.
Remember, nutrition is more important that your workout routine. Youcan have the best plan in the world and
if you don'tback it up with the fuel you need for your goal you will notsucceed. Use our BMR calculator to calculate yourcalories then check out our fitness nutrition section for diet plan,articles and recipes.