Abs, Biceps, Shoulders, Upper Back
Lat Pull Down Instructions
- Attach a wide grip handle to the lat pulldown machine and assume a seated position.
- Grasp the handle with a pronated grip (double overhand) and initiate the movement by depressing the shoulder blade and then flexing the elbow while extending the shoulder.
- Pull the handle towards your body until the elbows are in line with your torso and then slowly lower the handle back to the starting position under control.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Lat Pull Down Tips
- Keep some tone through your abdominals as you pull the bar into your body to ensure you don’t arch excessively through the spine.
- Don’t allow momentum to dictate the movement, control the dumbbells throughout the entirety of each rep.
- If you feel your biceps being overused and your back remaining under active, consider utilizing a false grip (i.e. don’t wrap the thumb around the dumbbell).
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward as you pull.
- Similarly, ensure the shoulder blade moves on the rib cage. Don’t lock the shoulder blade down and just move through the glenohumeral joint.
- Allow the shoulder to internally rotate and shrug slightly at the top of the movement. You will obviously reverse the movement and depress the shoulder blade before you pull with the arm.