Seated Barbell Shoulder Press Instructions
- Adjust the barbell to just below shoulder height while standing then load the desired weight onto the bar.
- Place an adjustable bench beneath the bar in an upright position.
- Sit down on the bench and unrack the bar using a pronated grip.
- Inhale, brace, tuck the chin, then lower the bar to the top of your chest.
- Exhale and press the bar back to lockout.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Seated Barbell Shoulder Press Tips
- Reach tall at the top and don’t worry about keeping the shoulders packed down and back.
- Allow the elbows to rotate and point outward at the top of the movement but tuck them tight to the ribcage at the bottom.
- Fight to control the bar from rolling your wrists into extension and think about “rolling your knuckles toward the ceiling.”
- Brace your abs as you press, you shouldn’t be leaning back excessively.
- Imagine you’re trying to look out a window at the top, your ears should be in line with your biceps.
- If your shoulders are bothering you during the movement, consider experimenting with a wider grip or utilizing some of the vertical pressing progressions listed on the site.