- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredEZ Bar
- Force TypePush (Bilateral)
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
EZ Bar Skullcrusher Overview
The EZ bar skullcrusher is a variation of the skullcrusher and an exercise used to strengthen the muscles of the triceps.
The triceps can be trained in many different ways to promote growth and overhead extensions, such as the EZ bar skullcrusher, are an effective way to target the long head of the tricep.
Having bigger and stronger triceps are not only important from an aesthetic standpoint but can also help contribute to better performance on pressing motions such as the bench press.
EZ Bar Skullcrusher Instructions
- Select your desired weight and sit on the edge of a flat bench.
- To get into position, lay back and keep the bar close to your chest. Once you are supine, press the weight to lockout.
- Lower the weights towards your head by unlocking the elbows and allowing the ez bar to drop toward your forehead or just above.
- Once your forearms reach parallel or just below, reverse the movement by extending the elbows while flexing the triceps to lockout the weight.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
EZ Bar Skullcrusher Tips
- Don’t overextend through the lumbar spine as you lower the weight, keep some tension through the abdominals.
- Exhale as you extend the elbows and lockout the weight overhead.
- If you experience elbow pain during the movement, consider implementing a slight angle (incline or decline) or adjust elbow position (in versus out).
- You may slightly reduce tension through the ligamentous portions of the triceps during the movement by keeping the bar just above your head and not locking out directly over your line of sight.