Overtraining - Why Less Is More

This article will explore the reasons behind over training. Learn how many trainers know exactly why they shouldn't over train?

It is often the case that when someone discovers the gym for the first time and really gets into training they will work out for hours upon end hitting the same body part 3-4 times per week, training 7 days a week. This article will explore the reasons behind over training, it’s easy to be told ‘Your workout lasts too long’ or ‘you’re doing too many sets’ but people often ignore this advice. Hopefully after reading this article you will understand WHY you are over training and make the necessary changes to your routine to start gaining some serious muscle!

What is Overtraining?

Let’s start off with a quick definition of overtraining:

Overtraining occurs when you push your body too hard and pass the point that your body is able to recover from. To make gains you must overload the muscles and then allow adequate time for recovery and growth by resting. Overtraining occurs when either the overload is too high, or the rest period aka recovery time is too low.

Workout Intensity.

Now, you must train with a high enough intensity to overload the muscles which cause’s tiny tears to occur in the muscle fibres. After training these tears start to repair and then grow back slightly larger than before when your body has fully recovered from training.

Training with an intensity that is too low, for example not completing enough sets, or not using enough weight will not effectively break down the muscle fibres meaning no growth will occur as the fibres will not grow back larger and stronger than before if they have not been effectively overloaded during training… If the muscles can handle the weight that is being moved easily then there is no need for them to grow bigger and stronger.. So they won’t!

On the other hand training with an intensity that is too high will cause the muscle fibres to break down past a point of recovery, meaning the tears in the muscle are more severe and will require days of rest, or even weeks and months of rest and therapy in some more severe cases of over training.

When the intensity of your training is too high you are not allowing the muscles enough time to recover and rebuild. Over training can occur from training a muscle group before it has had time to fully recover from a previous session, such as training each body part 2-3 times per week… After you have finished training, the muscles that you worked will take usually somewhere between 24-48 hours to recover from training. It is only AFTER this period of recovery that any growth occurs, this is why for example training your arms on a Monday and again on a Wednesday is not recommended as although you may feel ok and ready to train them again and any soreness from the previous workout may have gone, the reality is that the muscles have only just entered the window of time in which any growth will occur, and working the same muscles again will break them back down and prevent any growth.

Less is More.

Many people are under the impression that more is better, however this is often not the case when trying to gain muscle. To break this down and make it a little easier to understand, think of digging a hole, the time that you spend in the gym training is equivalent to digging a hole, the time your body needs after to recover from training is how long it takes to re-fill the hole, and piling a mound of dirt on top of the hole is growth of the muscle. So, you can pile extra dirt on top ONLY when the hole has been re-filled, which takes time! If you dig a hole that is too deep, it will take too long to re-fill… and there will be no time to place extra dirt on top… this means no muscle growth!! Training a body part 2 days in a row would be equivalent to digging one hole, and then continuing to dig the same hole even deeper the next day… you will never have the chance to pile any dirt on top which means you will never gain any muscle training like this…. In fact you are moving backwards, you will probably be losing muscle and almost certainly over training!

How Many Sets Should I do?

The key is to find a balance between training with a high enough intensity to break down the muscle fibres without training so much that your body cannot recover from the training. This will vary from person to person and there is no exact routine of method of training that will guarantee the best results for everybody, you have to find what works for your own body. I often see people asking how many sets they should complete for each muscle group and although each individual is different and there are no exact numbers that will work for everyone I can give a recommended set range for each muscle group, this is aimed at those who are training for muscle gains and have some background training under their belt, preferably at least some sort of beginners routine for 10 weeks or so. Larger muscle groups like back and legs can obviously be trained with more sets than the smaller muscle groups like biceps that can get an intense workout from just a few exercises. Another common mistake of overtraining is hitting the biceps with too many sets, you could walk into almost any gym and find someone doing 20 odd sets on their biceps being under the incorrect impression that ‘more is better’.

Here is a recommended set range for each muscle group:

The rep ranges for muscle building is 6-12 reps per set and you should be lifting with a weight that you struggle to complete the last couple reps on each set with good form. Once you hit your rep range with good form it is time to move up in weight. It is important that no one under the age of 18 is lifting heavy weights and/or using a low rep range. If you are under the age of 18 and looking for training advice visit the Muscle and Strength forum where you can find articles and routines specific to teenage trainers.

The numbers listed do not include warm up sets. (Warm up sets should always be done first, usually one set very light weight and one set at approx 50% of your training weight as well as stretches.)

Some muscles such as the Abdominals and Calves do recover faster than other muscle groups and can be trained twice per week but again the effectiveness of training them once per week or twice per week will vary from person to person. The figures listed above are just a general outline for those who are confused as to how many sets each muscle group can take, or indeed to highlight to some people that they may be over training a certain muscle group if they are not seeing results. I am not saying everyone should stick within these ranges by any means, if you find that 15 sets for your triceps is most effective for you and provides the best results for you then stick with it! However most natural trainers will find that the most effective number of sets to complete in their workout will be within the above ranges.

As I have just explained, rest is important and you only need 3-4 exercises max per muscle group per workout, now the ideal rest between sets is 60-90 seconds, and 2-3 minutes between each exercise. If you do the math then these numbers should mean that your workout is easily completed within an hour, possibly if training 2 muscle groups and then abs as well it may last a little longer but should never be more than 90 minutes as again this is overtraining.

Not including warm-ups and stretching I would advise to keep your workout time below 60 minutes, after this time your body starts to break down its own muscle tissue to use as fuel. This is due to a stress hormone called Cortisol that is released in high amounts after you have spent so much time lifting.

The Muscle Building Routine.

Now that I have told you how to avoid overtraining and more importantly the reasons why you should avoid overtraining, I will show you an example muscle building workout routine that I have created. The routine is a 4 day split and follows all of the above guidelines, you should never be working out for longer than 60 minutes using this routine:

More workouts listed in the workouts section. You can find my full 4 day split muscle building routine here.

Monday: Chest & Triceps

Tuesday: Legs

Thursday: Shoulders

Friday: Back & Biceps

Full workout here: Shaun's 4 Day Muscle Building Split Routine.

So remember to train hard, but it's the quality of your training not the quantity that will bring you the best results.

(30/10/2007) Robert DiMaggio http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dimaggio12.htm

About The Author
Shaun started training seriously in 2006. Using the knowledge gained from Muscle and Strength, he has packed on the muscle and dropped his body fat %.

81 Comments+ Post Comment

Posted Thu, 05/07/2015 - 05:31

Hey steve i wanted to now if i do a tricep and bicep workout at the end of the week will it be ok or what i mean make it 5 days per a week

Posted Sat, 11/22/2014 - 23:10

Some of this information is false. People do gain muscle by working the same muscle 2 or 3 times a week.
Here is a quote from this article

"Monday and again on a Wednesday is not recommended as although you may feel ok and ready to train them again and any soreness from the previous workout may have gone, the reality is that the muscles have only just entered the window of time in which any growth will occur, and working the same muscles again will break them back down and prevent any growth."

It said "prevent any growth" this is false. If this was the case no one who exercises a muscle 2 or 3 times a week would ever gain muscle mass (hypertrophy).

Many football players are on a 2 or 3 times a week per body part routine and they do build muscle. Many people in any gym in world train 2 or 3 times a week and they do gain muscle mass. I can't believe the author wrote that something so blatantly false.

Posted Tue, 10/28/2014 - 00:02
Tyler Scribner

Ive had a good run with weight training over the last two years, I need some opinions.nice narrowed down into an isolative/bulking routine with two day rest periods for trained muscle groups.. I am 24, 6' 0" and 189lbs my goal is 215 at 10℅ BF

3 exercises per muscle group, 4 pyramid sets per exercise of 12,10,8,6 reps

Monday (chest/back/abs)
Tuesday (legs)
Wed (bi's/tri's/neutral shoulders)
Thursday (traps/stretch/15 min cardio)
Friday (chest/back/abs)
Sat (off)
Sun (off)

Posted Tue, 10/28/2014 - 00:02
Tyler Scribner

3 exercises per muscle group, 4 pyramid sets per exercise of 12,10,8,6 reps

Monday (chest/back/abs)
Tuesday (legs)
Wed (bi's/tri's/neutral shoulders)
Thursday (traps/stretch/15 min cardio)
Friday (chest/back/abs)
Sat (off)
Sun (off)

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 14:35

Hello, I am 45 years of age I weigh 72kgs (158ibs) and I train 5 times a week usually for about 2 hours per session. My leg workout is extremely brutal and intensive. I do 10 sets of squat with weight of 100kgs and 140kgs with less than one minute recovery period, these are not deep squats where my back side touches my heels but my hamstrings are parallel with the floor, I do between 12 and 4 repititons. The following I do with one to two minutes recovery period, 5 sets of hack squats 130kg, 6 sets of Leg extensions, 5 sets of leg curls and 7set of seated calves raises. I do this workout twice a week, and I train my upper body three times a week with basically the same intensity.

My question is, do you believe I am training too often and too intensive. I always feel warn out and lethargic especially the next day. I have been training since I was 15, but I have not gained any muscle mass since I was 30. I eat about 5,000 calories per day. Can you give me any advice on how to gain quality muscle without taking any steroids or enhancement drugs.

Posted Wed, 03/05/2014 - 07:02

My age 27 weight 75kg hight 5'9".....
Monday...chest nd shoulder
tuesday...biceps nd triceps
wednsdy..back nd abs nd legs
but i not satisfied my biceps nd triceps size

Posted Wed, 03/05/2014 - 06:27

Dear sir,
My biceps nd triceps size is not gain.i last 1year continues my gym workout. And in week 4days i workout. And my diet is afterworkout protien shakes and breakfast 5eggs and 1milk glass.but i so confuess my size is not gain. Biceps 6sets and tricep5sets. Plsssss sir guide me.

Posted Fri, 01/31/2014 - 14:49

i understand this article, i just had something i wanted to try because i noticed i was growing fairly quickly when i was doing this routine. i wanted to see what your opinion is on doing upper body monday, wednesday and frida and doing lower body tuesday and thursday. if i were to do this it would look something like this

Mon, wed, fri:
bench press: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
Incline press: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
lat pull downs: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
seated rows: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
Bicep curl: 3 sets, 8-12 reps

Tue, thurs:
Sqats: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
dead lifts: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
leg press, 3 sets, 8-12 reps
ab work: 4 sets

Posted Sun, 01/26/2014 - 14:39

Hi Steve,
I've read a couple articles explaining that one should not train biceps together. Now, I'm really confused on this, being that the 4 day split written above states you a back and bicep routine.

Posted Sun, 08/11/2013 - 15:06

Great routine if you are on steroids. I do even less than this and still feel over trained.

Posted Sat, 08/03/2013 - 15:06

I think my Test levels dropped reading about overtraining. What happened to guys being guys? People are more afraid to over train than they are to actually workout and put effort in the gym.

Posted Thu, 07/18/2013 - 23:02

Hi guys, thanks for all comments. I have a high fat body (not obese), I want to loose fat but maintain my current weight. It is a good idea to tread mill 30 mins, then do 1 exercise with 2 sets of 10 reps for each muscle group everyday to loose fat and have muscle tone

Posted Tue, 07/09/2013 - 16:55
L.T. Green Jr.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Ive been killing myself pushing myself to the limit. Now i understand why I've been cutting fat like hell, but i'm not seeing any gains and i'm not getting any harder . So i am going to try things this way for a month, cause it really makes sense that i'm not seeing any real gains because i am not letting myself heal properly. So i thank you again sir. See you in one month. Peace.

Posted Thu, 06/27/2013 - 22:25

hey guys,
I'm going to follow this 4 day split; I'm trying to gain muscle. Should I rest completely on my 3 days off or can I do abs on one of my off days? Would training abs on an off day be considered resistence training enough to be counter-productive?

mnsjason's picture
Posted Fri, 06/28/2013 - 17:05

You could certainly include some ab work on your off days, as well as some cardio if you would like. Make sure you adjust your calorie intake (depending on your goal) to compensate for the increase in activity.

Posted Tue, 06/18/2013 - 11:01

Thanks for the article. I love going to the gym every day, and now I see the importance of letting my muscles get sufficient rest.

Posted Sat, 04/27/2013 - 07:59

90 minutes or more in the gym = overtraining?
Then you show us a 4-day split where you train each muscle group once a week. Enjoy poverty gains.

Posted Fri, 04/05/2013 - 10:39

When we train the chest we put a significant load on the shoulders in fact you won't be able to bench press 20 pounds with a significant shoulder injury. The shoulder get a great pump doing chest. In other words you are training your shoulders twice per week.

Posted Mon, 03/18/2013 - 21:47
come c

I usually work out my chest once a week .how long should I wait before I work it out again?
And I thought working on My arms front and back would be more affected is this true?

Posted Sat, 03/02/2013 - 15:26

This is great information, I learned alot!
i do have questions though.
I am doing this other program "Air Alert III" that will increase my vertical jump. Its a 15 weeks program that includes lots of leg works, would it be a bad thing if i Workout my legs like you recomended and still continue to do the AA3 program? will it be too much for working out for my legs?

Posted Sat, 04/06/2013 - 10:06

Check the Bulgarian method. They train the same muscle every 30 min during the whole day. They are the best in what they do. Mayweather train 3 times per day. Jon Jones up to 5 times per day.

Posted Sat, 04/06/2013 - 10:06

Posted Sat, 04/06/2013 - 10:07

Posted Sat, 02/09/2013 - 14:39

I work construction-use a hammer everyday and my right forearm (right handed) is at least two inches bigger than my left so its NOT always true.. I dislike the word Never!! If you squat weight everyday you will gain size and strength so again never is a poor choice of words. I agree with a lot of what this article states for body builders who have strict healthy eating habits but most people don't have strict diets nor the desire too. Genetics has a lot to do with the way your body will respond to weight lifting. A perfect example is the prison weight station some grow huge some don't and there all on the same diet and allowed the same amount of time outside. It also works different some get fat and some stay skinny yet all on the same diet. Genetics.. Ohio currently has a death row inmate who is so fat he is appealing death because of cruel treatment to find a vein- Ya 425 lbs on a 1500 cal a day diet. Again Genetics and health..

Posted Wed, 02/06/2013 - 21:24

Why do the pros talk about 4 or 5 hr. work outs?

Posted Thu, 12/27/2012 - 22:49
Patrice Vezeau

I just watched navy Seal bud camp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFRePXMI9M

And I was thinking is this not over training ? So I google military training and over training and found your page.

My conclusion is what they are doing is a fit test and a mental test it is not training they try to break people and only keep the strongest so anyone who try these camp should already be fit super fit not just fit because even them should get out of those camp weaker physically if not injured then before they enter.

Would you agree or disagree with me and do you have anything to add to my reflection.

Posted Mon, 12/17/2012 - 18:18

Hi Steve,
I used to overtrain my muscles for over 6 months, and they have increased in mass somehow. What shall i do for now, just train with the recommended sets?

Posted Mon, 10/15/2012 - 03:49

Hey can someone tell me if this is a good workout please. I'm 16

Mon- chest, triceps, shoulders
Tues- legs
Wed- back, biceps, forearms
Fri- chest, triceps, shoulders
Sat- back, biceps, forearms

Posted Sat, 09/29/2012 - 21:28

In my opinion those set ranges are way too much.

Posted Thu, 09/13/2012 - 21:58

hey i have a problem that my body stay hard while i am working out "only when i am working out " after i go home and have some rest and eat it become just like body fat my body become so firm and specially chest and abs

Posted Mon, 09/10/2012 - 10:32

Hi guys! Kinda new to this, so I hope I don't sound too daft, but does this mean that I should be training one muscle group well once per week, rather than doing something like training that same muscle group two or three times in the same week? And, not even say better but, IS it a good idea to train a muscle group just once a week?

Joey's picture
Posted Fri, 09/21/2012 - 10:54

Hey Matt,

A well-written routine will have this worked out for you (we have several here on the site). Some full-body routines will call for the same lifts 3 times per week but will still allow for ample recovery. Choose a solid routine and focus on progression.

Posted Tue, 09/04/2012 - 12:13
John McKinnie

Hey, I recommend this routine for bulking up. I'm a pretty experienced weight lifter, but my routine and gains had plateaued out so thought I'd give this one a try for a change. I followed it to the letter, plus eating 5 times a day and 3 protein shakes and have put on 21 extra pounds of muscle in about 6 weeks

Posted Mon, 09/03/2012 - 07:18

So I like doing yoga on
Most days but I would like to gain more musle mass should I do one or the other or can I do both at the same time

Posted Thu, 07/26/2012 - 13:49
Jack Lewis

Steve. Is it okay for a teenager to use this workout. Thanks for your help

Posted Wed, 07/25/2012 - 22:05
ehsan alidost

hi, i really like this routine, i have over trained my muscles, while on different routines. i worked 3 times a week on chest and two times on other muscles, plus i trained each muscle 5 to 6 exercises...i am toned and i am 5'6" weight 136...a person in the gym told me cut it down, do less exercises and less days.,,,so i really like this routine that is up here, but my goal is to bulk up, the question is will this routine here bulk me up? i eat a lot 5 times a day 3 times protein shake (cytogainer=2 scoop per service)

Posted Wed, 06/27/2012 - 17:01

Hi and thank u for ur many articles, helped me out a lot.
A friend suggested that i might be over-traing
I'm using ur 4 day split muscle building routine but with cardio added and sometimes restarting routine at 6 days not 7.
A day goes like this:
- 5min run to the gym
- stretching 15min treadmill incline interval walking (moderate intensity)
- chest (as in ur 4 day split routine)
- triceps (as in ur 4 day split routine)
- 4 sets abs knees up + 4 sets obliques (next day 4sets lat dumbell + 4 sets legs up)
- treadmill (1day incline walk / 1 day interval running moderate to high intensity .. when i walk i do abs, when i run i dont)
- back hyperextensions 3-4sets

Mentioning that trying to lose fat and gain mass, this week started to add more proteins to diet and following https://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/fat-loss

Posted Tue, 06/26/2012 - 11:26

I do 4 total sets per body part...some times 3. Ive been growing steadily..dont believe what you read about 14-16 sets for chest thats just a waste of time to me anyway. The point and the only point is to add more weight or 1 more rep each workout and trail til abosolute failure. I do 1 set of decline currently i did 1 set 285lbs for 7 reps and then did a set of flat decline and flys all trained to failure but not really caring about making progress on those.. as long as im making progress on the decline the rest i just use as a finisher..im not even sure if i need them. I followed dorians yates book blood and guts (think hes on youtube now too) and took some things from H.I.T and mike menzter. Anyhow just my 2 cents...i know what works for me. You have to work balls to the walls though no saving some energy cause thers not 4 more sets coming form that 1 exercise

Posted Sun, 06/24/2012 - 11:14

Hi I was wondering I take hgh and workout my upper body 5 days a week and eat a ton I feel alittle sore but once I'm working out I'm good to go I have gone from 173lbs to 194lbs in a month I have got a lot bigger should I keep going or switch to a routine?

Posted Wed, 06/20/2012 - 23:37

For Monday you have 5 different exercises for the chest at 3/4 sets per exercise. Is this an overkill? I really want great gains; however, will doing these chest exercises over work my chest muscles causing a longer recovery period?

Posted Tue, 06/12/2012 - 01:40

Hi Steve,
was just wondering what your thoughts are on my workout, it is split into 3 days
Day 1 - flat bench press 3 sets
Dumbell fly 2 sets
incline dumbbell press 2 sets
Dumbbell Shoulder raises seated 3 sets
lateral raises 3 sets
Weighted dips 3 sets
Day 2 - 3 sets of chinups until fail
3 sets of bentover row
3 sets of dumbbel lying rear delt row
2 sets of shrugs
3 sets of preacher bicep curls with dumbbells
day 3 - REST
I also do abbs every second day

Posted Mon, 06/11/2012 - 09:51

If I were to do all 5 days of this workout every other day, along with a good, balanced diet for both lift days and rest days, would i still be gaining muscle? And why or why not?

Posted Fri, 06/08/2012 - 07:44

This is perfect!!just what I was looking for but do u have a training plan for women?

Posted Wed, 05/16/2012 - 13:14
David Scoty

Help!! Looking for thoughts on a workout combination:

Large muscles:
Exercises 1 & 2 - 5x5
Exercise 3 - 8x8 (Vince Gironda style)
Exercise 4 - 1 set 3xrest pause 11-15 (Doggcrapp style)
Small muscles:
Exercises 1 - 5x5
Exercise 2 - 8x8 (Vince Gironda style)
Exercise 3 - 1 set 3xrest pause reps 11-15 (Doggcrapp style)

Read recently about dc training and I like VG style. So thought about combining with some 5x5. Looking for feedback. Looking to start in June (been off sick for 3 months due too ruptured achilles. Doing a 3exercises of 6x5 - last set is a 1/2weight burn out set to keep strength up for my return, on machines as using crutches)

Gym user for 5yrs, 3-5sessions per week depending on work (70hr per week - includes 4hrs a day travelling). Can't train too heavy (below 3reps) as my joint damage (due too basketball/mma & a car crash) on ankles/knees/hip/l elbow/r shoulder hurts to fk after for up to a week. Looking for strength and conditioning though.

Usually alternate every 4weeks between:
Fst7 - 6-8reps on first few exercise & 15reps on last
10 8 6 15
6-8 first 3sets and last set of 15reps

Or can some pass a good workout routine over.

Posted Sun, 05/06/2012 - 15:10

is this a balance work out routine?
all the in puts highly appreciated.

SQUAT 3x10

Incline Dumbbell CURL 3x10
Preacher CURL 2 x10

Posted Tue, 04/24/2012 - 01:02

Hey I took a week off of training and since then I have gone to the gym everyday for two weeks (14 days in a row). My typical workout routine has looked like this
monday- chest
tuesday-biceps and triceps
saturday-biceps and triceps
and so on..
I know I need to start working out my legs and I am going to add that in now. I also workout my abs 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week. My cardio workouts are not too intense though they range from full court basketball for an hour or so to running sprints or a mile or two. I do abs and cardio on alternating days.

I am trying to tone my body and get cut, and I know I shouldn't work out this much without taking a few days off, I just got carried away after taking that week off.

My workouts usually last about an hour and 15 minutes, in which I workout the different parts of each muscle group (example lower chest, upper chest...) and do three sets on each exercise. I often superset them like doing bicep curls and then tricep kickbacks as soon as I finish the curls. I don't take long breaks in between sets either. I don't have a certain amount of exercises that I plan on doing either I just work each muscle until I am too tired to do anymore. I usually start with two exercises for each muscle group involving heavier weight and less reps, and then move on to lower weight with more reps (maybe 10-20 depending on the exercise).

I have seen some good results fast over these two weeks, but I know that I shouldn't keep this pace up. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me on how I could get results from spending less time in the gym, or just advise on my workouts in general.

Also, I don't take any supplements or protein or anything like that, I just try to eat healthy and when Im hungry.

Posted Tue, 02/14/2012 - 02:47

Despite conflicting information across many fitness websites , one point on which all agree is the need to avoid overtraining.

What I don't get , though , is why certain folks - eg construction workers - develop excellent physiques through their work. Surely doing a heavy manual job five days a week is "overtraining" , so we would think such people would have poor musculature. Yet , the opposite is the case.

Why does "overtraining" not have a detrimental effect on them ?

Posted Wed, 03/21/2012 - 10:39

Nick, I believe it has something to do with the construction workers work. Yes they are constantly lifting heavy stuff, but they arent necessarily "working and lifting until their arms explode". The work they do is heavy, but probably more of an endurance workout, plus theyre shedding calories and building a tiny bit of muscle every week.

Posted Sun, 02/12/2012 - 04:50

There is much conflicting advice across a multitude of fitness sites.
Avoiding overtraining seems to be one point however on which all agree.

What I don't get though, is this : why do,say,construction workers develop strong physiques by doing the same thing at the same intensity every day?
Surely their work constitutes "overtraining" and should lead to under-developed musculature? Yet the opposite is the case.

Can anybody explain this apparent contradiction ?
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 01/31/2012 - 00:24

hi steve

This ir reall help for me to start up with getting a gud shape and boddy mass..

All i want is a good body like 300 movie :-) not huge mass just perfect cuts with tight muscels..should i concentrate more on cardio for this..