- Select the desired resistance on the weight stack and insert the pin.
- Adjust the seat so that the knees are directly in line with the axis of the machine.
- Sit down and position your shins behind the pad at the base of the machine.
- Take a deep breath and extend your legs as you flex your quadriceps.
- As you lock out the knees, exhale to complete the repetition.
- Slowly lower your feet back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
- Ensure the axis of rotation for the knee directly matches that of the machine. In other words, the point of rotation for the machine should be in line with your knee joint itself. If the knee is positioned too far in front or behind the axis of rotation, there will be excessive stress added to the joint which could cause significant injury.
- Typically extensions should not be done excessively heavy due to the lack of hamstring co-contraction with the quads. When one occurs in isolation it could present an injury risk to the knee if done with excessive weight.
- Pointing the toes can help to enhance mind muscle connection.