- Set the pulleys of a dual cable machine to the low setting and select the weight you wish to use.
- Stand facing away from the machine and grasp the left handle with your right hand, and right handle with your left hand.
- Stand straight up with your arms in front of you (crossed over). The weight should be slightly off the stack.
- Bend slightly at the knees and bring your torso forward by bending at the waist. Keep your head up and your eyes facing forward. This is the starting position.
- Moving only at the shoulders, uncross your arms and lift them in a semi-circular motion out to your sides until your arms are parallel to the floor. Keep the slight bend in your elbows throughout the movement.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades at the height of the movement and then begin slowly lowering the handles back to the starting position - crossing them once again.
- This is one rep. Repeat for desired reps.
- Practice good form with a light weight.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades and pause for a moment at the top of the movement.
- Focus on moving only at the shoulders. The rest of your body should be kept as still as possible and your arms should hold the same form throughout the movement.