Traps, Upper Back
Standing Cable Reverse Fly Instructions
- Position two cables at chest height and attach a handle.
- Reach across your body and grab one handle with a neutral grip. Repeat for the opposite arm.
- Position the arms straight ahead holding onto each handle and keep a soft bend in the knees.
- Keep the elbows slightly bent and pull the handles laterally without squeezing the shoulder blades together excessively.
- Slowly lower the handles back to the starting position under control.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Standing Cable Reverse Fly Tips
- Ideally we want to focus on the rear deltoids, not the scapular retractors so movement at the shoulder blade should be limited. Move the shoulder within the joint, not the shoulder blade on the ribcage.
- Keep the abs braced and don’t arch the back at the top of the movement.
- Don’t jut your head forward during the movement - this is about stimulation for a small muscle group. Focus during the movement and don’t rely on momentum.
- Allow the arms to move freely but don’t lock out the elbows.
- If handle attachments aren’t available, you may be able to just grab the end of the cables as most have a built in stopping mechanism in the form of a plastic ball which is easily grippable.