German Volume Training for Shocking Muscle Growth

German Volume Training isn't for the faint of heart. Be prepared to train intense and hard. If you're tired of the same old training routine, and want to shock your muscles into new growth, look no further!

Muscle Volume Training for Muscle GrowthSprechen sie Deutsch? Translated, that means do you speak German?

You don’t need to speak German to master German Volume Training. You only need to master your threshold for pain. Because German Volume Training is pain. It’s an insane and effective method of shocking your muscles.

Call German Volume Training the slumpbuster. If you’re in a rut, seeing no muscle gains, and need a dramatic change, look no further. Consider your muscle building slump to be over.

Core Principles of German Volume Training

German Volume Training isn’t rocket science. There’s no elaborate formulas to figure out, and no training techniques to be mastered. GVT is built around three simple, core principles:

1. One Exercise. You perform one exercise per body part. That’s it. Stick with heavier, compound-style lifts that tax major muscle groups. Because you will be performing a limited number of exercises per week, proper exercise selection is critical in maximizing the effects of GVT.
  2. 100 Reps. For each exercise, you will be performing 10 sets of 10 reps. Start with 50 to 60% of your one rep max for that lift. Perform as many reps as possible for each of the 10 sets. There is no need to train to failure. Train close to failure. GVT is taxing enough without training to failure. When you can perform 100 total reps, or 10 sets of 10 reps, add 5 pounds to the bar the next time you use the same movement.
  3. Rest Pause. You will be resting approximately 60-90 second between sets. There are numerous forms of GVT floating around the Internet, some a variation of Vince Gironda’s 8x8 training, and some with incredibly short rest periods. Resist the urge to lower your rest periods under the 60 second mark. Limiting rest like this will force you to decrease the load. You’re already working with weights slightly above half of your 1RM. It does you no good to use lighter weights then this. For most exercises, a 60 second rest works best. For big, beefy and taxing exercises like the squat, 90 seconds is needed. (And then some!)

German Volume Training Notes

You will also find that on certain exercises, you will lose strength fairly quickly. My strength dives when trying to hammer out sets of overhead presses. I don’t think I’d be able to perform 10 sets of 10 reps with 20% of my 1RM for this exercise.

Hang in there. Over time, your strength endurance will noticeably increase. Push for one more rep on every set. As long as you focus on progression, the weight will take care of itself.

On the first few sets of an exercise, the weight will feel too light. You’ll start to wonder if you’ve made a mistake. You didn’t. Be patient. By sets 7, 8, 9 and 10, you’ll be in tremendous pain. GVT is very deceiving. On paper it looks too easy. After 2 sets, it feels too easy. After a week of GVT, you’ll be ready to quit the program, and never run it again. It’s tough! But it works!

The German Volume Training Routine

German Volume Training involves only three workouts per week. Resist the urge to break this routine up into a four or five day split before actually trying it. It’s best to try GVT for several weeks before tweaking with it. My first GVT squat day left me so sore that I had a hard time squatting 8 days later, so I recommend not changing the program at all.

The three workouts are push, pulls and legs. I’ve modified this workout from the original structure. The original GVT program advocated working arms and shoulders together, and then hitting back and chest three days later. The problem with this approach is that your arms get so blasted tired and sore that it is very difficult to properly workout your chest and back.

The structure of the workouts is as follows:

For abs and calves, there is no need to destroy yourself with a 10x10 set/rep scheme. Perform 3 sets of 10-25 reps for these body parts.

After working your chest and shoulders, your triceps may already be fried. Use your best judgment when working triceps. I recommend using 3 sets of 6-12 reps instead of the 10x10 method. But if you have it in the tank, by all means hammer out 10 sets on triceps.

The original German Volume Training method advocated only 3 sets for both biceps and triceps, and involved no direct hamstring work. You can stick with 3 sets for biceps, or jump up to 10x10. I prefer to go 10x10.

Do whatever is most effective for your body. For hamstrings, I recommend a 10x10 approach. Since you won’t be able to walk anyway from the squats, you might as well sell out completely to the pain.

German Volume Training Exercise Selection

Don’t get fancy with GVT. Stick with basic exercises, and avoid isolation work. A GVT program generally runs between 4-6 weeks. Pick exercises and stick with them. There is no need to worry about muscle confusion or isolation on GVT.

Time to Hit the Gym

It’s time to hit the gym. Expect extreme muscle soreness on this program. I recommend sticking with GVT no longer then 4-6 weeks. After that point, take a break. Your body will need it. Perform a more standard hypertrophy routine at this time.

Push yourself on every set. Try for one more rep. GVT is known for its ability to add up to 10 pounds of muscle over a 4-6 week cycle. Eat big, and rest big!

4.2 STARS
101 VOTES
About The Author
Muscle & Strength's Content Team is a group of fitness industry experts dedicated to publishing the highest quality articles, workouts and guides on the M&S Website.

530 Comments+ Post Comment

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 06:52
Ivy

Just wondering on rest days will high intensity interval training be ok to do.

Posted Wed, 02/25/2015 - 14:32
LFlowers

So your only suppose to use 50-60% of 1RM to perform the 10x10 for each exercise? And only One exercise per body part?

Posted Fri, 02/20/2015 - 02:30
Big Rob

This is insanity. Pick one exercise for the area your training and hammer out ten sets of ten using 60-70% of your 1 rep max.
Example: your max bench is 300
Do 10 sets of 10 with 185 - 200 pounds
I'm 43, training on and off for 20 years now.
This GVT can help you answer all doubts,
Get past the pain, Feel the burn, and see for yourself.
This is designed to kick your ass to a whole new you.
In the end you'll see what you made yourself Earn...
Takes guts to go through this toughest of the toughest methods. Its painful, it burns and its worth it.
One exercise?, 10 sets of 10?, how hard can it be?...bang em out...see for yourself brotha...Big Rob out..
Thanks to the o.p....you know your sh%t.

Posted Sun, 01/18/2015 - 21:59
Gerardo Marquez

What about traps?

Posted Sun, 12/21/2014 - 15:03
Raj

Same exercise every week?
Or should alter it?
Like first week benc press and next week dumble press?

Posted Sun, 12/21/2014 - 14:56
Raj

Steve Steve Steve...
I m little confused about schedule
Suppose i do decline dumbbell press & chin up on day 1
Then should i repeat it again on next chest & back day?
for 6 week cycle same exercise?decline db press after every 5 day or alter it with normal bench press etc. ?

Posted Tue, 10/28/2014 - 22:09
charles

well I'm on my 3rd week of GVT and feel like I'm losing my gains instead of gaining......and by the way, I don't feel this training really tough....but I'm gonna finish it either way....if you guys have something to say just say it..

Posted Sun, 10/12/2014 - 21:49
Devin Hamblet

Started in earnest today, and it kicked my behind. my legs are going to feel this in the morning, in fact, I'm starting to feel some of it now.

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 17:55
Timo

I just tried it and - I don't know - it seemed easy - not sure why everyone's going on about it being so 'brutal' and 'intense' - it's lifting a weight you can easily manage a lot of times - Obviously have to wait tomorrow and see how muscles feel etc. but first impression is this isn't actually difficult - I exert more in a 3x10

Bench dropped to 9 and 7 on the 9th and 10th
Shoulder press I did 10 sets then had to add 5kg and do another 10 to get at least some failure
Squats I must have misjudged because could hit all 10 @80kg and only very last rep felt even 'hard'

Posted Wed, 09/17/2014 - 15:38
JDub

What is the preferred tempo for this program?

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 21:08
Timo

I've heard 4020 and 4010 quoted

Posted Thu, 09/11/2014 - 08:22
Bilal

Hi! i am from Pakistan and in here we workout 6 days a week with only sunday off. i am training for almost 9 months but it is not effecting. So, i wanted tos tart GVT and i am not sure how to implement on my 6 day routine and i also dont know which exercises i should do....we train here like chest one day shoulder or wings the other day, we just train biceps and triceps together...can any one please help me with this..i want GVT program of 6 days. oar 5 days atleast.

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 21:06
Timo

From UK, If you're not gaining :-

1. Are you writing down what you lift each time with a date? You should - then you KNOW objectively if you're improving
2. Are you pushing yourself to failure for at least 3 sets per exercise? So if you aim for 10reps, you push as hard as you can but 11th is impossible - If you can do more, you need to add weight, if less less you need to remove weight
3. Are you eating more (a lot more) protein for 24-48 hours after every workout? You should be

If after all this you don't improve in 9 months, give up - but I'll bet that you are not pushing to failure - i.e. can do no more. Do these things and I guarantee you will improve ALOT in 2 months and in 9 you'll be strong

Posted Wed, 09/03/2014 - 18:27
tony

hey steve,
give or take how much calories should I consume during this routine im 5'10 177..ooo and im constantly active at my job for 8-10 hrs a day, I know that plays a role in burning cal as well,thanks for any help you can give

Posted Fri, 08/29/2014 - 04:50
Callam

Hi Steve I've been going gym for a few month now not long really . would I be able to start this routine on a small wieght or is it not for beginners ?

Posted Sat, 06/21/2014 - 15:07
Jeremiah

What workout would you suggest after completing 6weeks of this?

Posted Fri, 06/13/2014 - 09:42
daz_sutton

Brutal. Just finished Phase 1 (10X 10) and Phase 2 (10 x 6) over 12 weeks. Put on 6lbs in weight, 2" on my chest and 1" on my arms. Shoulders look big and ripped. Legs are a killer though. Recommended.

Posted Mon, 06/02/2014 - 13:17
Nic

I just started this today and did flat DB presses, seated DB military presses and scull crushers. I done super sets with the flat presses and military presses, then did the scull crunchers by themselves. Is this this right structure to do this by?

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 18:59
Timo

Antagonist superset movements are recommended by Charles Poliquin -
i.e. Bench immediately followed by Rows or
Bench immediately followed by Lat.Pull-Downs / pull-ups

Posted Mon, 05/05/2014 - 21:02
marc

Do you jus do one exercise per muscle group?

Posted Wed, 04/30/2014 - 23:00
Sarah Miller

HI, I have been doing some research on this method of training. I am just wondering as to why there are so many rest days? I usually train 6 days per week and no cardio at this stage. I am competing towards the end of this year and i am wanting to maximise my muscle growths as much as possible. are you able to give me more info regarding the rest days? As i will need to add in more cardio in the next few weeks (would i benfit more doing the cardio on the rest days or after the training sessions)..
your reply is much appreciated :)

Posted Sun, 04/06/2014 - 00:09
vikas

what about guys who cannot do pullups,chinups and dips.try doing 1x10x10 or take some other exercise.

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 21:08
Timo

If you can't do pull-ups do lat.pull-downs until you can lift more than your body weight then you can do pull-ups

Posted Wed, 03/19/2014 - 21:54
Jake

I'm 22 and have done a lot of workout programs. Candito, Somolov, just to name a few and this, as far as bulk goes, is one of the better ones. Remember its a "bulking" program, which don't emphasis the strength portion as much. But anyway YES this will work, give it time and you see inches added to your muscles.

Posted Mon, 03/17/2014 - 18:01
Ben

Hey got two weeks left of this routine! It's destroying me... In a good way!
Was just wondering what would be a good programme to follow this to continue gaining or would just a simple hypotrophy programme be fine?

Posted Sun, 03/16/2014 - 13:33
Rod

GVT is simply the best program I've tried. I first did it last year, started the first week of April 2013 and ended around the last week of May. You will be extremely sore, but my wife and I noticed the difference in tone. I noticed the difference in my total lifts when I switched back to my regaular workout routine in June 2013.

I've started back on GVT as of last Thursday. So, the hope is to get more toned. Once thing I'm doing different ly is adding more abdominal exercises in the rotuine.

Good luck everyone!

Posted Tue, 03/11/2014 - 08:30
Paulie

Finished a 6 week GVT prog last Fri (7/03/14) and I'm 8lbs heavier and I look a lot leaner, I've gone from 202lbs to 210lbs, my scales ate telling me 16% bodyfat. I have always been quite strong due to doing some gymnastics (horse & rings mainly), football and boxing in my youth. To be honest I never expected this from GVT, I added 2.5kg to every exercise every week except squats to which I would add 5kg every week, went through a 5kg tub of total 90+ protein, tons of eggs and water. I was also taking Creatine, extra Arginine and added supergreens powder to 2 protein shakes a day. I think I can attribute the leaning out part to the 10 X 10 sets on hanging clean & presses that I was doing on a, supposed rest day, they had me sweating buckets.
Thanks for the article Steve, gonna take a week off now, I think I deserve it :)

Posted Tue, 02/25/2014 - 10:42
Paulie

@Ali. Defining your abs is all about reducing fat in the midsection to show the muscles, spot reducing fat is impossible, reducing bodyfat is an all over thing and usually the last place it'll go from is the midsection. I'd advise that while doing GVT concentrate on the workout, try to increase your poundages every workout and eat like a horse (healthily mind) a good trick I use is to boil a couple of boxes of eggs and keep them in the fridge and when you need a quick protein fix eat a couple, yes yolks too. get big and powerful first then after your 5-6 weeks of GVT you could maybe go on a cutting phase and try to lean out some.

Posted Mon, 02/17/2014 - 16:14
Ali

I get that the lifting part of this workout is insane, but what about your abs? Is this going to define my abs... Assuming that I eat healthy and follow this to a T.

Posted Sat, 10/04/2014 - 18:10
Timo

Deadlifts will help abs, but really it's not that natural a muscle to have - situps are easily the best way to get them - and lose as much fat as possible.

Posted Sun, 02/16/2014 - 06:09
AdamK

I ve recently started Jim Stopanni's GVT and HIITs 100 combined. I think its brilliant. This is an intense and long workout. You do see results and feel the tear. However, this is not for beginners. To minimize fatigue and shock impact, I would highly recommend having rest days and eating well as Steve suggests. It can taxing on your body with too much lactic acid if you don't follow a healthy regime.

Hope all goes well -

Happy lifting

Posted Fri, 02/14/2014 - 19:58
joe

hey Steve, I'm currently on my 3rd week of gvt, your opinions on adding walking cardio in the morning on an empty stomach to try to lean out and bring my bodyfat percentage down a bit? A few months ago I finished the Smolov squat routine and was really focusing on strength. I saw great strength results but was eating way too much so I ended up putting on some fat. I am 6'2 at 215lbs roughly between 15-20% body fat. You're opinion would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks man!

Posted Thu, 01/23/2014 - 06:09
Paulie

I have been using GVT for a while and it's very hard to start with so start with a much lighter weight than you havde in your head, I've been training for the best part of 25 years and have a 1 rep max bench of 196kg , gladly I'm naturally strong so I thought I'd go with 10X10 with 100kg for the bench press on a slight decline ( I prefer decline as its easier on the shoulders) by set 7 I was done and had to admit defeat and dropped the weight to 80kg, I reccomend going real light for the first few times and get used to the feel and then add weight accordingly to what you think will suffice (don't knock your pipe out on the first few sets) I do the 10X10 for bi's and tri's and it's superb, just get your weight right and by the endof your workout they will be on fire. If you want a good fat burner, on shoulder day, do 10X10 hanging clean & press, it throws in some excellent cardio to the workout , I do these seperately on a Saturday (rest day) they will have you sweating like a fat bird in a disco. Keeping it real throughout the years!!

Posted Tue, 01/14/2014 - 21:22
Woodstock

I tried GVT on Sunday, starting with squats, and now two days later I'm wondering if I should be worried about Rhadbo. I have the most intense case of DOMS that I've ever experienced. Does anyone else have experience with this extreme pain after GVT?

Posted Thu, 01/23/2014 - 06:31
Paulie

@Woodstock, Hi , regarding your Rhadbo, I think you need to get to your G.P. and get checked, if you haven't trained for a while and are starting back after a lay off or just starting, maybe GVT may be a bit much and you should start with something less demanding. In any case you should get a kidney function and a blood test sorted, the results will determine your next route, make sure you are drinking plenty of fresh water to keep your kidneys fushed, you also need to keep your electrolytes in balance. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day, take your time start light and progress at your own rate. Trying to keep up with people who have been training for years will do nothing but cripple you. Your pace is the right pace. Hope everything turns out OK :)

Posted Fri, 01/03/2014 - 17:27
ParraHarrd

Hi Steve,

Im on a 3 month break from triathlon training due to a achilles injury. Im taking this as a chance to push some weights. What type of workout would you suggest after a 6 week block of this?

Posted Wed, 01/01/2014 - 21:18
Simon

Hey Steve
Just wanted to know if i pick one exercise for each musclegroup and then stick with that exercise for the 4-6 week period, or can i choose another exercise each weak? Ex. Benchpress one week and incline db press another week?

Posted Sat, 01/04/2014 - 19:55
mark

I think it's best to stick with the same exercises, so you can accurately gauge the correct weights to lift and to help monitor your progress.

Posted Sun, 12/29/2013 - 22:41
Val

Hi @steve! Is this supposed to be done in a superset manner like Poliquin's version.
Let's say...
Day 1:
A1 Flat bench press
A2 DB Military Press
A3 CG Bench Press

Thank you in advance for enlightening me. :)

Posted Sun, 12/29/2013 - 17:32
Reiley

How can you do as many reps as possible if youre only doing 10 reps each set for 10 sets..thats only 100 reps, not as many as you can do? or is it 10+ whatever else you can do for each set?

Posted Tue, 03/11/2014 - 08:36
Paulie

@Reiley. If you can do more than 10 reps per exercise easily then you should be adding weight so by the time you reach sets 7 - 8 - 9 and 10, 10 reps is an all out effort or you may only get 8 or 9 reps in those sets but next time you train that bodypart use the same weight till you can do 10X10 with it, when you can, add 2.5kg to the bar next time you work that bodypart and so on for all the exercises. I did this with the exception of squats to which I added 5kg per week . Hope this helps.

Posted Sun, 12/29/2013 - 00:16
B.C

Posted Sun, 12/29/2013 - 00:10
B.C

just to clarify, is it only one workout per muscle per day? for example, chest day only do bench?

Posted Thu, 11/21/2013 - 01:31
ParraHarrd

What type of workout would you suggest after completing 4-6 weeks of this?

Posted Mon, 11/11/2013 - 20:18
chad

If I can bench 135 for 10x10 and I'm 14 is that good?

Posted Tue, 02/25/2014 - 10:45
Paulie

Your 14 FFS don't train heavy your going to damage your health, stick to bodyweight exercises and playing sports or climbing tree's, please don't tell me you take supplements that are made for mature adults too ? :(

Posted Sun, 11/10/2013 - 09:05
Adam

I have been reading a lot on gvt and a lot articles go on about superset the 2 exercises is this correct?

Posted Wed, 11/06/2013 - 02:49
Afshin

german volume training is very crazy. 100 reps is impossible.

Posted Tue, 10/15/2013 - 23:40
Terry

god dam this 10 x 10 is a killer!!! i was holding myself back on trying this out but after a month of wieght train i get bored of doing the same old things and i decided to give 10 x 10 a try.

got my shoulder up to 10 x 10 and on the 9 and 10 set i almost get failure on the 9 and last rep (=_=II)

but as for my biceps i cant get up to 10 set i fail at 8 and hardly do the number 9 set =( (should i redure weight for this?)

i find the most killing time on this workout is the limit time of rest!! 60sec with a time watch on hand hahaha

Posted Tue, 10/15/2013 - 10:56
ami

I'm 40YO 6'2 and 176 pounds. I've been training for a couple of years now and I'm happy with my results, but I've definitely hit a plato on my muscle growth. I always do: chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs, shoulders, that's it, 4 workouts a week and different exercises each time, for example 3 exercises for chest 3 sets of 10 reps each. Do you think a GVT will shock my muscles even if I keep doing push, pull and legs as you suggest? Should I try back/chest, arms, legs? Your comments are highly appreciated.