Seated Dumbbell Press Instructions
- Set up an adjustable angle bench to 90 degrees and select the desired weight from the rack.
- Pick up the dumbbells from the floor using a neutral grip (palms facing in). Position the end of the dumbbells on your knees and sit down on the bench.
- Using a safe and controlled motion, kick your knees up one at a time in order to get each dumbbell into place.
- Once the dumbbells are in place, rotate your palms so they are facing forward.
- Take a deep breath then press the dumbbells overhead by extending the elbows and contracting the deltoids.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position (the arms should be roughly 90 degrees or slightly lower depending upon limb lengths).
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Seated Dumbbell Press Tips
- Keep your back flat against the pad throughout the duration of the exercise.
- Don’t allow the head to jut forward excessively.
- Drive the bicep to the ear and exhale as you press.
- If you sense any pressure in your neck or traps during the movement, look to address a lack of thoracic spine extension or shoulder flexion.
- Keeping the elbows slightly bent at the top and not locking out entirely will help to keep tension on the shoulders.
- If you can’t lock out the elbows overhead than it may indicate a lack of shoulder mobility due to poor scapular upward rotation.