Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle like prior to your transformation?
I was very out of shape, ate fast food at least 10 times a week.
What was your low point or turning point?
Told by my doctor I was borderline obese. My friends made a bet with me that I would never get into shape. I accepted the challenge and I won $1000 the next year when I lost over 40 pounds.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
I love food. The problem was that it was hard to put down the fast food, but eventually I got the right mindset and did what I had to do.
Please provide a timeline including when you started the transformation, and include major milestones:
- Transformation Start: September 2009 - 250 Pounds, 32% bodyfat.
- Milestone: October 2009 - 230 Pounds, 24% bodyfat.
- Milestone: May 2010 - 210 Pounds, 20% bodyfat.
- Milestone: May 2011 - 195 Pounds, 16% bodyfat.
- Milestone: January 2012 - 200 Pounds, 12% bodyfat.
- Transformation End: June 2012 - 182 Pounds, 7% bodyfat.
Matthew's Training Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
Cardio everyday along with a 3 day split.
Please add a workout that worked best for you:
- Monday - Back. 25 sets x 10 reps.
- Tuesday - Biceps. 10 sets x 10 reps.
- Wednesday - Chest. 25 sets x 10 reps.
- Thursday - Legs. 25 sets x 10 reps.
- Friday - Shoulders and Triceps. 40 sets x 10 reps.
- Saturday - Abs. 20 sets x 30 reps.
- Sunday - OFF.
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
I did cardio for at least 40 minutes to an hour everyday of weight training after the workout.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- There are so many different ways you can train. You can learn something new everyday.
- Always form over the weight. You can hurt yourself if you do not know what you are doing.
- Weight lifting plus proper nutrition plus cardio equals success.
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
Yes many changes. I now isolate each muscle differently and my sets are slow and controlled and rest periods are very short. I want to feel the tension in my muscles rather than see the numbers in weight go up. Form over everything.
Matthew's Diet And Supplement Plan
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
No fast food, no fried foods, no snacks, no fatty foods.
Can you give an example of what your daily meal plan looks like?
- Breakfast: Protein shake.
- Snack: Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat.
- Lunch: Salad and grilled chicken.
- Post-Workout: Protein shake.
- Snack Later: Protein bar with fruits and bananas.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
I did not understand carbs that much and sometimes did not have enough. Once I learned more about them I was able to keep more size and drop more body fat.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Everyone's body is different and responds differently to different types of foods.
- Without the proper diet, you will not get the results you want.
- Sticking to my diet is what really helped me get through it. You need to have the right mindset. Without it, you cannot go anywhere.
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
Yes, every 3-4 days. You need to cheat to reset your leptin levels so you can continue burning fat.
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
- CLA Tonalin
- L Carnitine
- Green Tea
- Eat The Bear Pure Whey Isolate
- Orange Triad Multivitamin
- Beta Alanine
- Evolution X7 BCAAs
- MCT Oil
- NO Explode
- L Arginine
- L Orthinine
- Vitamin D3
- Omega 3 Fish and Krill Oil
- L Tyrosine
- CGP Creatine
Advice For Others
What are your best 3 tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Set a goal and make steps on how you will achieve that goal.
- Have a workout buddy that will keep you motivated.
- Don't worry about the scale. Care about how you look in the mirror. That is what it is all about.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
I stay motivated by keeping my goals in order and always pushing myself harder through each workout. I am my own challenge. I try to beat myself each workout.
Your Life Now
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
Totally different. I am healthy, have a beautiful girlfriend and I feel so much better about myself.
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
Haters motivate me. I strive to keep bettering myself because at the same time, if someone is just at my level and if I sit there and do nothing, I know that the other person is going to be better than me if I do nothing. I get up and do what I have to do and keep challenging myself.
Anything else you would like to share?
Favorite quotes: "Nothing tastes as good as aesthetic feels." "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
How Can People Contact You?
How can people contact you?
- Instagram @Wolfe715
- Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolfe-Fitness/407765625910385
- Email for meal plans, diets and workout programs: email@example.com