Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle like prior to your transformation?
Never thought about what I ate or cared about my body. I had no idea that the way my body looked was 100% in my control.
What motivates you to change?
I had recently ended things with a girlfriend and wanted to focus all of attention on some sort of change, so I chose my body….why not? It was in need of huge change. I did it 100% for myself and my health.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
I’m only 5’7" so I always saw that as a challenge because lots of guys are 5’10" and up so they can weigh a little more and still look lean, so I really had to focus on my diet to get down to the weight I did.
Please provide a timeline including when you started the transformation, and include major milestones:
- Transformation Start: February 2009.
- Milestone: First time I weighed myself after my start I was 15 lbs less than when I started…only 5 weeks from my start.
- Milestone: When I went under 200lbs…I hit 197 and couldn’t remember the last time I weighed less than 200lbs.
- Milestone: When I was 190, getting those last 10lbs off was the hardest thing to do but I took control of my diet and cut down to 178.
- Transformation End: July 2009.
Alex's Training Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
My dad was always big into lifting so I knew a few things but compared to what I learned over the 6 months, I knew nothing in the beginning. I did my research and got to know everything there was to know about lifting. I also knew I had to do a lot of cardio and since I hated running, I picked up racquetball.
Please add a workout that worked best for you:
- Day 1: Chest & Triceps. 90 minutes of racquetball.
- Day 2: Off
- Day 3: Back & Biceps. 90 minutes of racquetball.
- Day 4: Off
- Day 5: Shoulders & Abs. 90 minutes of racquetball.
- Day 6: Off
- Day 7: 90 minutes of racquetball.
|Chest and Triceps|
|Incline Barbell Bench Press||4||8-10|
|Standing Dumbbell Tricep Extension||4||8-10|
|Back and Biceps|
|Barbell Curl - 21s||3||7|
|Seated Cable Row||4||8-10|
|Shoulders and Abs|
|Decline Weighted Crunch||5||25|
|Hanging Leg Raise||4||Failure|
|Arnold Dumbbell Press||4||8-10|
|Front Dumbbell Raise||4||8-10|
|Side Lateral Raise||4||8-10|
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
Racquetball, racquetball, racquetball! Racquetball was fun for me, so it’s like I wasn’t even working hard. I joined the team at school and really got into it. 60-90 minutes flies by when you’re having fun.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Like I said above, make sure your cardio is fun, especially for people who hate running and treadmills.
- Let your body rest, that’s the only way it’s going to grow.
- Eat or drink a shake both before and after your workout to help your recovery process.
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
I took some time off from the gym for a while but over the last 2 months I’ve been back in it.
Alex's Diet And Supplement Plan
What is your philosophy about nutrition?
I had no idea how important diet was in the whole transformation process. For me it was 80% of the entire thing. Eat small, clean meals every 2-3 hours throughout the day. Allow yourself ONE CHEAT MEAL PER WEEK so that you have something to look forward to every so often. You deserve it after working so hard.
Can you give an example of what your daily meal plan looks like?
- 7 am - (Post-Cardio) 1 cup plain oatmeal, 5-6 egg white omelet with fat free cheese and veggies. 1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey.
- 9 am - Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and walnuts.
- 11:30 am - Tuna with olive oil and black pepper in a whole wheat wrap. Raw spinach salad.
- 2 pm - 12-15 almonds or cashews, 1 piece of fruit.
- 5 pm - 4-6 ounces of grilled chicken breast, 2 cups sauteed veggies and black beans.
- 8 pm - 8 ounces cottage cheese with one cup chopped fresh fruit.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
I learned as a I went along but to be honest for 6 months I didn’t make many mistakes because I did my research and got to know everything there is to know about the nutrition side of things. It’s completely natural to be able to lose 10lbs of fat per month if you do it right.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Allow yourself ONE CHEAT MEAL PER WEEK so that you have something to look forward to every so often. You deserve it after working so hard.
- Watch your white carbs, in fact CUT THEM OUT COMPLETELY! They are killers!
- Cut out all drinks but water (exception of natural green tea), no soda, no juice, no milk (unless you’re trying to put on weight).
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
One per week (Absolutely anything I wanted, if it was 15 cheeseburgers and 10lbs of fries, I was allowed).
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
Advice For Others
What are your best 3 tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Stay focused 100% for the entire time, until you reach your goal.
- Make sure you are doing it for yourself and nobody else. You need to want this!
- As impossible as it may seem to do, it isn’t and it’s probably a lot easier than you think.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
I stayed motivated throughout the entire transformation by looking at the scale and the pictures I took of myself. Also looking at other people’s transformations online. Watch this for motivation:
6 Month Body Transfromation
Your Life Now
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
The way people react to me who haven’t seen me since before the transformation makes me feel great. I look healthier, feel healthier and am healthier. Although my diet and exercise was not perfect after the 6 months, I knew what I was putting into my body and how it would affect me.
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
The mirror 100%.
Anything else you would like to share?
Keep your head up and stay concentrated, because anybody can do what I did.
How Can People Contact You?
How can people contact you?
- Email: [email protected]