- 1979 AAU Mr. New Hampshire (first contest - got smoked)
- 1980 NPC Teen Bay State 5th place
- 1981 Mr. Manadnock County 2nd place
- 1989 NPC Northwest 2nd place
- 1989 NPC Olympia Natural 2nd place
- 1990 NPC Emerald Cup 5th place
- 1990 NPC Pacific Northwest 1st place
- 1991 NPC Vancouver Natural 2nd Place
- 1991 NPC Pacific Northwest 2nd place (National Qualified)
- 1991 NPC Northwest (couples) 1st place (National Qualified)
- 2007 INBF Alamo Showdown 1st place and overall Masters (Pro Card)
- 2010 INBA Gulf Coast Championship Open and Masters Champion (Pro Card)
- 2010 PNBA Pro Natural Olympia / Bronze Medal
What is your background and how did you get started in bodybuilding?
The first time I saw a bodybuilding contest on TV at the age of nine, I knew that is what I wanted to look like. My brother got a weight set when I was 12 years old and I have been hooked from that day on!
Why do you love bodybuilding?
There is nothing that strengthens the body and mind like bodybuilding. The discipline and concentration required to be successful in this sport has helped me to be successful in everything I put mind to do.
What is your training philosophy?
My training stays pretty consistent throughout the season. I ramp it up for the competitions primarily with more cardio and train heavy. I believe it is important to try and maintain your strength up to a competition for muscle density as well as to gauge your carbohydrate intakes.
What's a good workout routine that has given you results?
- Monday - Legs and Arms
- Tuesday - OFF
- Wednesday - Shoulders, Back and Chest
- Thursday - OFF
- Friday - Legs and Arms
- Saturday - OFF
- Sunday - OFF
Following week I switch workouts, i.e.; legs and arms on Wednesday and shoulders/back/chest on Monday and Friday.
|Legs and Arms|
|Leg Curl (superset w/ Leg Extension)||3||8-10|
|Smith Machine Calf Raise||3||8-10|
|Dumbbell Curl (superset w/Tricep Press)||3||8|
|Shoulders, Back and Chest|
|Side Lateral Raise||3||8-10|
|Pull Up (superset w/Dumbbell Bench Press)||3||8-10|
|Dumbbell Bench Press||3||8-10|
|Rear Lateral (superset w/Incline Flyes)||3||8-10|
|Incline Dumbbell Flye||3||8-10|
|Bent Over Row (superset w/Dips)||3||8-10|
|Front Dumbbell Raise||3||6-8|
|One Arm Dumbbell Row||5||8-10|
|Legs and Arms|
|Leg Curl (superset w/Leg Extension)||3||8-10|
|Smith Machine Squat||5||8-10|
|Seated Calf Raise||3||10|
|Stiff Leg Deadlift||3||10|
|Barbell Curl (superset w/Tricep Push Up)||3||8-10|
|Tricep Push Up||3||8-10|
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Bent over Rows: There is no substitute for this movement, the only way to build a complete back.
- Walking Barbell Lunges: Works every muscle in the legs as well as stabilizer muscles in the upper body.
- Dips: Best compound movement for the upper body.
What’s the best training tip you could give to others?
Use weights that you can control through the complete range of motion concentrating on the muscle contraction. (Avoid using momentum to move the weight.)
What is your philosophy on nutrition?
I believe in getting all my nutrients through food sources therefore do not take any supplements.
Give us a typical day in your off season diet:
- 1st meal/Breakfast: Six egg whites with one yolk, 1 cup of oatmeal with fruit, one glass of apple juice.
- 2nd meal/Post workout meal: Two Bagels, 1/3 lb of chicken or turkey, glass of milk.
- 3rd meal: 1/3 lb pasta with marinara sauce and 1/3 lb chicken, ½ cup veggies, milk.
- 4th meal: 1 ½ cups white rice with homemade turkey chili.
- 5th meal: 1/3 lb chicken/turkey/fish, 1 ½ cups shredded wheat.
Give us a typical day in your diet (contest prep):
- 1st meal: 6 egg whites w/ one yolk, 1 cup oatmeal with fruit, one glass apple juice.
- 2nd meal: 1 cup brown rice with 1/3 lb. chicken/turkey and 1 cup veggies.
- 3rd meal: 1 cup brown rice with 1/3 lb. chicken/turkey and 1 cup veggies.
- 4th meal: 1 cup brown rice with 1/3 lb. chicken/turkey and 1 cup veggies.
- 5th meal: 1 cup brown rice with 1/3 lb. chicken/turkey and a salad with vinaigrette.
What are your favorite meals and foods?
Turkey chili over brown rice.
Favorite cheat food?
What’s the best nutrition tip you could give to others?
Get your protein from quality food sources such as eggs, red meat, poultry, and fish. Protein supplements are inferior to a diet of whole foods. But if you absolutely have to use a protein supplement for convenience get only pure egg white.
What brands do you think are offering the best products at the moment?
Supplements are inferior sources of nutrition and can do more damage than good.
What do you think is a good off season muscle building stack?
Chicken and eggs with a plate of pasta.
What do you think is a good pre-contest/fat loss stack?
Egg whites and a green salad with vinaigrette.
Advice For Others
What are the 3 best tips you'd give to someone thinking about competing in natural bodybuilding?
- Always train with all out intensity.
- Eat the best quality foods to build and refuel your muscles/avoid supplements.
- Put as much emphasis on recovery as you do on training.
What is your best advice for looking your best on competition day?
Don’t do anything last minute that you haven’t experimented with before.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who's having trouble staying on track?
Go to a natural bodybuilding show. Then plan to do a show and use that as motivation....not to embarrass yourself when you walk on stage.
What shows have you got coming up, where can we see you compete?
I am going NPC this year, competing against the “not so” naturals!
What would you like to achieve in your natural bodybuilding career?
Use my lifetime of knowledge to help others reach their potential.
Who are your favorite bodybuilders and idols?
Frank Zane / Arnold Schwarzenegger / Dave Goodin.
How Can People Contact You?
Email: [email protected]