Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle prior to your transformation?
I’ve always worked out or did some type of cardio but my diet was terrible. I had to learn how to eat clean.
What was your low point or turning point?
Turning point: I’ve always wanted to compete but didn’t know how to get started. I saw a trainer at our Gold’s Gym in Abilene... “Carolyn Gregg.” She was getting ready for a show and she looked amazing. I wanted to look like her.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
The eating clean was hard for me. I loved chips, cheese dip, and still do. This is my cheat meal: Mexican Food. I could exercise all day but don’t take my junk away! It was very hard.
Please describe your transformation timeline.
- Transformation Start: Jan 2009.
- Milestone: Needed to add mass overall.
- Milestone: Needed to lean out legs.
- Transformation End: April 2009 competed at Texas Shredder. I am still in transformation.
Juanita's Training And Cardio Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
I lifted heavy,12-15 reps, 4 sets of each exercise. Morning cardio on empty stomach. 45 minutes of low impact cardio after weights.
Please add a workout that worked best for you:
- Monday: Chest and Triceps. 3-4 exercises per muscle. 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps.
- Tuesday: Back. 3-4 exercises. 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps.
- Wednesday: Biceps and Abs. 3-4 exercises per muscle. 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps.
- Thursday: Legs. 3-4 exercises. 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps.
- Friday: Shoulders. 3-4 exercises. 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps.
- Saturday: Rest.
- Sunday: Rest.
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
Cardio on empty stomach 30-45 minutes low impact. 45 minutes cardio after weights, low impact.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Cardio on empty stomach - burns more stored fat.
- Go heavy - you will not look like a man!
- Just get out there and do it even if your not up to it. No one else can keep you from exceeding but yourself...
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
Juanita's Diet And Nutrition Approach
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
Learning to eat clean. Cleaning out the junk.
Can you provide us with a sample eating plan (please be specific):
- Breakfast: ½ cup dry oatmeal, 4-5 egg whites.
- Snack: Protein drink with natural peanut butter.
- Lunch: Grilled chicken,1/2 cup brown rice, cup green beans.
- Snack: Greek yogurt with blueberries,10 almonds.
- Dinner: Fish, sweet potato, veggie.
- Snack: Protein drink.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
You can get lean without fat burners! Just burn an extra 500 calories a day lower than your daily calorie intake.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Eat clean. If you mess up, its okay. Brush it off and get back on track. Don’t stress.
- Drink your water.
- Prepare your meals ahead of time.
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
Not during competition mode. After my show, YES...
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
Advice For Others
What are your best tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Take it one day at a time.
- Weigh only once a week.
- No one is going to do it for you. Make up your mind and just do it!
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
Always have a goal. Start small and then work up to a larger goal. My first goal was to win the Biggest Loser contest at Gold’s Gym. My next goal was to compete at the Texas Shredder. I’ve now done several shows. My goal is to win a Master figure show and then to be able to compete with the younger girls…
More From Juanita Wrinkle
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
Awesome! It feels so good to know how many lives I have inspired.
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
I love to watch my physique change for the better the older I get.
Anything else you would like to share?
It doesn’t matter what your age is, you can do this!
How can people contact you?
Facebook or email.