- Main GoalBuild Muscle
- Workout TypeSplit
- Training LevelIntermediate
- Program Duration8 weeks
- Days Per Week4
- Time Per Workout45-60 minutes
- Equipment RequiredBarbell, Bodyweight, Cables, Dumbbells, EZ Bar, Machines
- Target Gender Male
- Recommended Supps
- Workout PDF Download Workout
This approach is a 4 day split that focuses on big, heavy-hitting exercises. You won't find a lot of bells and whistles in this workout. Just simple, straightforward, ball-busting hard work.
The premise is simple...hammer the compound lifts, and follow them up with intense 10 rep sets to complete each workout. Here is how the split shakes out:
- Monday - Workout A
- Tuesday - Workout B
- Wednesday - OFF
- Thursday - Workout C
- Friday - Workout D
- Saturday - OFF
- Sunday - OFF
This plan revolves around heavy sets and is perfect for the intermediate muscle builder (or strength trainee looking to add more muscle and strength). If you're tired of workouts that revolve around 5 rep protocols, consider this program a godsend.
To lead off each training day you will perform 5 total sets of a heavy, compound exercise. The reps for these sets are listed as: "5, 4, 3, 2, MAX". Here is how this 5 set scheme works.
Start with a weight that is approximately 75% of your one rep max. Using this weight perform sets as follows:
- Set 1 - 5 reps
- Set 2 - 4 reps
- Set 3 - 3 reps
- Set 4 - 2 reps
- Set 5 - As many reps as possible (MAX)
When you are able to perform 3 or more reps during the last set, add 5 pounds to this lift the following week. If you stall, meaning you are unable to reach your 3 rep goal on the final set for 3 straight weeks, drop the weight by 7.5 to 10% and start the climb again.
For the 10 rep sets, use the same weight for a given exercise and add weight when you can.
Run this program for a total of 8 weeks before taking a week away from training. After this point you may either switch to a different program, or run this routine for another 8 weeks.
|Squats||5||5, 4, 3, 2, MAX|
|Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlift||5||10|
|Seated Calf Raise||4||10|
|Bench Press Day|
|Bench Press||5||5, 4, 3, 2 MAX|
|Close Grip Pull Downs||5||10|
|Seated Arnold Press||5||10|
|Cable Tricep Extensions||4||10|
|EZ Bar Curl||4||10|
|Deadlift||5||5, 4, 3, 2, MAX|
|Standing Calf Raise||4||10|
|Ab Wheel Rollouts||4||10|
|Military Press Day|
|Military Press||5||5, 4, 3, 2, MAX|
|Incline Dumbbell Bench Press||5||10|
|Lying Tricep Extensions||4||10|
Sample Eating Plan
This section contains a sample eating plan. If you are young with a reasonably fast metabolism, I recommend about 3,500 calories per day. The rest of you should consider starting with about 2,750 to 3,250 calories per day.
Understand that these suggestions are merely starting points. Daily calories should be adjusted as needed.
3,500 calorie bulking meal plan
- 7 am - 3 egg omelet with diced onion (1 oz), green pepper (1 oz) and pepper jack cheese (1 oz). 1 cup cooked oatmeal with half a diced banana. Nutrition - 640 cals, 38.3g protein, 50.3g carbs, 32g fat.
- 9:30 am - 2 scoops of whey protein in 16 ounces of water, almonds (1 oz) and strawberries (1 cup). Nutrition - 450 cals, 53g protein, 22.7g carbs, 18.2g fat.
- Noon - cubed chicken (6 oz) with a dipping sauce of salsa (3 oz) and full-fat sour cream (2 oz), 1 cup cooked rice. Nutrition - 530 cals, 46.3g protein, 50.3g carbs, 14.4g fat.
- 2:30 pm - 1 scoop of whey protein in 8 ounces of water, medium bagel with cream cheese (1 oz). Nutrition - 508 cals, 36.1g protein, 59.9g carbs, 13.1g fat.
- 3:30 pm - Workout
- 5 pm - 2 hamburger patties made with 80% lean ground beef (3 oz each), each topped with 1 slice of provolone cheese and mustard, 2 baked potatoes. Nutrition - 945 cals, 66.2g protein, 67.1g carbs, 44.7g fat.
- 7:30 pm - 1 scoop casein protein in 8 ounces of whole milk, 2 cups popped popcorn with 2 pats of butter. Nutrition - 448 cals, 34g protein, 28.5g carbs, 23.2g fat.
Calorie and macronutrient totals:
- Calories - 3,521
- Protein - 273.9 grams
- Carbs - 278.8 grams
- Fats - 145.6 grams