New to weight training? This workout is for you. Designed to hit each muscle group with the big compound exercises once per week. Each workout day has 3-5 exercises.
Recommended: Need help building muscle? Take our Free Muscle Building Course
With this workout you focus should be on your technique not the weight you're lifting. Get the technique right in this workout then move on to a more advanced workout (Like this 4 day split) after 8-10 weeks.
The workout hits each muscle group once per week. Abs and lower back should be worked after each workout with 2 exercises (see ab exercises).
- Monday - Chest and Triceps
- Tuesday - Rest
- Wednesday - Back and Biceps
- Thursday - Rest
- Friday - Legs and Shoulders
- Saturday - Rest
- Sunday - Rest
3 Day Muscle Building Workout
Before you begin each workout, start with a 10 minute warm up to prime your nervous system and get you ready to hit your workouts. Use this time as a beginner to establish quality habits. Take your time with each exercise and focus on proper form and developing that mind-muscle connection. You'll thank yourself later.
Monday - Chest and Triceps
|Dumbbell Bench Press||4||12,10,10,10|
|Incline Bench Press||2||10|
|Lying Tricep Extension||3||10|
- Have your bench at a 30 degree angle for incline bench press.
- Make sure you lean forward to focus the work on your lower chest. Use assisted dip machine if you cannot do bodyweight.
- Light weights only for skullcrushers, focus on form.
Wednesday - Back and Biceps
|Wide Grip Pull Up||4||10|
|One Arm Dumbbell Row||3||10|
|Standing Barbell Curl||3||8-10|
- Focus on form.
- Use lat pull downs if you can not do pull ups.
- Can use EZ bar for barbell curls.
Friday - Legs and Shoulders
|45 Degree Leg Press||4||12,10,10,10|
|Dumbbell Lateral Raise||3||10|
- 45 deg leg press, start with 75% of your max and add weight on each set.
- Lateral raises - focus on form using light weights