Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle prior to your transformation?
I didn’t really do any exercising or clean eating. I tried to clean up my diet but really didn’t know what I was doing. So I bought Tosca Reno’s clean eating diet books to get me started.
What was your low point or turning point?
I was so over weight and I was feeling very depressed and uncomfortable in my own skin. I have kids and was having a hard time keeping up with them!
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
Just the fact that my husband has a huge sweet tooth and always bought crap to bring home to eat. I had to learn to stay away from all that! Especially with kids, it’s hard too.
What was your transformation timeline?
- Transformation Start: Began clean eating and weight lifting in July of 2010.
- Milestone: Lost my first 5 pounds within a week.
- Milestone: In a months time I noticed my clothes were MUCH looser!
- Transformation End: I’m actually still transforming!
Kim's Training And Cardio Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
My trainer has me training different body parts on different days. I am in the gym 5 days a week!
Please add a workout that worked best for you:
- Monday - Chest and Back. Dumbbell chest press superset with lat pulldown, 3 sets, 12 reps each. Assisted pull ups superset with pushups, 3 sets, 10 reps each.
- Tuesday - Total body circuit. Total body circuit: hammer curls, triceps kickbacks, bicep curls, lying DB tricep press, jump squats, burpies. Then: lat raises, shoulder press, close grip pushups, bent over rear delt flyes, jump squats, burpies. Then: bench dips, alternating bicep curls, reverse grip EZ bar curls, overhead tricep press, jump squats, burpies. 20 times each exercise all the way thru. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
- Wednesday - Legs. Seated leg extension, wall squats with ball and weights superset with squat jumps, plie squat superset with lunges, lying hamstring curl. 3 sets x 20 reps.
- Thursday - Cardio and Abs. 45 minutes cardio.
- Friday - Shoulders and Arms. Seated Arnold press superset with front raises, seated bent arm lat raises, DB upright rows superset with alternating bicep curls, tricep cable press down. 3 sets 12 reps.
- Saturday - Total body circuit. Total body circuit again with lunges, jump squats, mountain climbers, lying hamstring curls with ball, dumbbell deadlifts. I do this 3 times thru with rest period of 1-2 minutes between.
- Sunday - Rest day!
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
I did cardio 30 minutes a day for about 4-5 days a week.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- That the body is an amazing thing and you can do amazing things with it and it responds beautifully to what you put it thru!
- As I continued with my weight lifting I discovered that I got stronger and stronger and that made me feel fabulous!
- I have asthma but have found that the more cardio I did, the better I became at endurance and that is a wonderful thing for people who have asthma. I have always had a hard time with physical activity due to this, but it is improving!
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
Like I stated before, I am still transforming! My workouts do change every 6-8 weeks to keep my body guessing. I’m still in the gym 5-6 days a week though! My cardio has increased too.
Kim's Diet And Nutrition Approach
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! I eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism revved. I have a protein and a complex carb with each meal.
Can you provide us with a sample eating plan (please be specific):
- Meal 1: 4 egg whites, 2 slices Ezekiel bread or 1/3 cup oats, ½ cup blueberries.
- Meal 2: 1 scoop protein powder with water and 1 kiwi or plum.
- Meal 3: 4 ounces sweet potato plain, 5 ounces chicken, 2 cups green beans.
- Meal 4: 4 ounces ground buffalo, unlimited green beans or asparagus, ½ apple.
- Meal 5: 5 ounces chicken or ground turkey, unlimited asparagus.
- Meal 6: 1 scoop casein protein with unsweetened almond milk, 10 raw almonds.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
No, due the fact that I have a fabulous trainer helping me!
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Once I started eating clean, the pounds just seemed to melt right off---amazing!
- I know that I feel so much healthier inside and out since I have been eating clean.
- I don’t crave the sugar like I used to. Once I got into this diet, you don’t really miss what you don’t have! So, I really don’t miss the sugar!
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
Initially no. But after a few months, I allowed one cheat meal a week.
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
Advice For Others
What are your best tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Hire a good trainer! Very important! It has really helped me in my entire transformation.
- Plan, plan, plan! You have to be able to plan those meals and prep them ahead of time.
- Stick with it! At first it may seem like nothing is happening with your body, but you have to stay strong & believe! Stick with it because it WILL happen! Don’t give up!
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
I just look in the mirror and see how my clothes are fitting and that is motivation! It is wonderful to fit into clothes I haven’t been able to wear for over 7 years! A good support system is essential too. I have a friend who is a figure competitor and she keeps me motivated! I go to her shows and get really pumped up! Also, my trainer is a great motivator! But I think the biggest thing is my kids! I want to be healthy and be around for them for a long time to come! Oh, take before pics...that is a HUGE motivator right there! When you look back at them, it’s amazing!
More From Kim Hric
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
My life is hectic with my gym schedule and work but I wouldn’t change it! I feel so much better about myself & how I look! I also notice that I get a lot more attention!
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
I am currently training to get on stage for a figure competition...so that’s keeping me going right now!
Anything else you would like to share?
I just get really excited and happy when people approach me and tell me that I am motivating to them! I never thought that I would motivate and inspire other people and it’s such a great feeling when people in my gym come up to me and tell me that I do inspire them! It’s fabulous! And now I’m getting prepped to get on stage for the very first time!