10 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Bench, Squat & Deadlift

10 Reasons Why You Should Never Bench, Squat and Deadlift
Serious lifters know to stay away from these 3 compound lifts, not only because they're useless but can end up hurting you in the long run.

The “Big 3” of lifting are often praised for their simplicity, functionality and effectiveness. Contrary to those popular beliefs the bench press, barbell squat and floor deadlift are actually bad for your physique. Read on for 10 sure-fire reasons never to touch these lifts.

1. The bench press is bad for your shoulders

It’s no mystery that the barbell bench press wrecks your shoulders. Putting them in a vulnerable position exposes them to unnecessary and dangerous stress ripe for injury. Your best bet is to avoid them at all costs.

2. The squat will kill your knees and back

The traditional barbell squat has been called a knee and back killer for good reason. Butt-to-the-floor ranges of motion put undue stress on not only your patellar tendons but your lumbar as well. It would behoove you to stick to leg extensions and machine leg presses.

Athlete Training

3. The deadlift is useless for back mass

Used by powerlifters and other athletes, the floor deadlift is good for one thing and one thing only – strength. Deadlifts have never built any appreciable amount of muscle on anyone. Not only does it not build muscle mass, it’s just too risky to do.

4. The squat will give you a big butt and not much else

If you are one of the lucky few who can do a proper squat, your best gains will be in the form of a bigger butt. The squat stresses the glutes more than anything with not much going toward your quads and hamstrings. If you experience this be sure to only squat half way down to avoid a bigger backside.

5. The bench press is overrated for strength gains

Contrary to the deadlift, the bench press does little to increase gains in strength. As the world’s biggest ego lift, it mainly focuses on a shoulder and triceps pump with little stress placed on the pecs. Stick with cable crossovers or chest flys.

Athlete Exercising

6. The deadlift isn’t really a full body lift

Another misconception in the iron game is the belief that the deadlift works most, if not all of your muscles. This is a complete fallacy. With most of the stress taken out on your spine and lumbar areas, the deadlift is one inefficient lift. Do pull-downs and machine rows instead.

7. The bench press is inferior to cable crossovers

As stated earlier, the bench press has a myriad of negatives going against it. So what is a lifter to do? Cable crossovers and flys have a distinct advantage over any pressing movement. Not only do they better isolate the pecs they also recruit more muscle fiber packing on more mass to your chest in less time.

8. The deadlift is mostly for ego

So what does the deadlift do? It feeds your ego and little else. If your goal is to show off to your friends and get chronically sore for days with little to show for it then the deadlift is for you. Again, stick to safer machine lifts for back.

Athlete Training

9. The squat is only effective if done for half reps

If you insist on performing squats make sure you are going down no further than half way and don’t let the meatheads at your gym tell you otherwise. Full range, butt to the floor squats will only bench you for weeks as you try to recover from knee and back injury.

10. One last fact

Join over 500k subscribers who receive weekly workouts, diet plans, videos and expert guides from Muscle & Strength.

4.3 STARS
68 VOTES
About The Author
Muscle & Strength's Content Team is a group of fitness industry experts dedicated to publishing the highest quality articles, workouts and guides on the M&S Website.

56 Comments+ Post Comment

Posted Sat, 09/10/2016 - 14:26
Blake

You got me good, I was like who wrote this he about to get ambushed next time at the gym

Posted Sat, 06/04/2016 - 10:06
KWS

LOL!! It's JUNE, and You all STILL GOT ME with this one! I was reading this thinking "what IDIOT wrote this CRAP!" Whewwwww!

Posted Tue, 04/05/2016 - 12:16
Alex

I was like: NO WAY, then i read the last sentence... such a relief
:D

Posted Thu, 03/17/2016 - 11:53
Conrad Hausman

You wasted my time, your article was bull s@@@ How much else on this site is a bad joke? I didn't see an apology , it's not April fools yet so I'll go to another site that doesn't play stupid games at others expense. People are trying to learn how to train correctly and take this serious. Bye you jerk
Sincerely, Conrad

MikeWines's picture
Posted Thu, 03/17/2016 - 13:59
MikeWines

From the last paragraph of the article: "The following has been an April Fool’s joke brought to you by the University of B.S.! Thanks for playing along with these insane, completely false rules for these lifts. Here at Muscle and Strength we believe in the core lifts wholeheartedly and hope you enjoyed a little humor."

This was from April of 2015.

Posted Thu, 03/17/2016 - 16:12
Conrad Hausman

Mike...
For 2016 April fools let tell everyone that most of the supplements on this site cause cancer, heart problems and impotence later in life so there all half price.
There's so much misinformation in the world today that people like me need to know that you can find truth without having to research everything and believe in professionals like yourself. Yes I was upset and a few others were too.I wasn't aware it was written in 2015
Please consider the number of people that have read the article and wasted that time. I Hope you will consider taking the article down.
Take care, Conrad

MikeWines's picture
Posted Thu, 03/17/2016 - 17:24
MikeWines

Conrad,
While I do agree that the search for absolute truth is a must in an industry full of false promises via marketing, overstated claims, and biased research, it never hurts to have a little fun. With these sorts of articles we hope that folks can read them with an open mind and pick up on the element of humor that's entwined throughout.

When you read content, just remember that whenever someone begins to drop absolutes such as "always" or "never", they're rarely correct. They're just merely looking to prove themselves as an authority or go against the common consensus to generate exposure.

Posted Fri, 12/04/2015 - 02:37
Luke

I was just about to rant here... then I read the last sentence...

Posted Wed, 09/30/2015 - 20:54
serena Neal

I knew saying squats was a waste of time was a joke! Squats are the best thing you can do and there's no way it only works the butt and not the quads.. My quads feel it everytime I do squats.

Posted Wed, 09/30/2015 - 20:54
serena Neal

Posted Thu, 04/30/2015 - 13:34
k4J98

Oh man, I was reading this thinking, "so all my time spent on the big three was a waste? Surely n...oh, I feel naive."

It's not April fools anymore, but I was still fooled.

Posted Wed, 04/08/2015 - 21:05
Anthony

Nice jokes

Posted Mon, 04/06/2015 - 20:57
Stephan

I'm so glad I read all the way to the end. Each bullet was pissing me off more and more haha. Tricked me good!

Posted Sun, 04/05/2015 - 10:38
Moe

Hahahahha.. i was so mad all through reading.. and then came the relief.. what a joke :D

Posted Sat, 04/04/2015 - 22:40
ryan

Man, ya got me! Disregard my last post! lol

Posted Sat, 04/04/2015 - 18:21
suggy

Awesome! Got to about #2 and was thinking somethings off on this....

Posted Sat, 04/04/2015 - 14:56
ryan

This guy is a total dipshit. Maybe he needs to watch the CrossFit Games to see what real muscle and fitness look like, as well as perform.

Posted Sat, 04/04/2015 - 11:11
Keyi

This article is actually hilarious and it got me up until the end. Well played, M&S, well played.

Posted Sat, 04/04/2015 - 02:12
Chuck G

Whoa.... I was gonna say....!!

Posted Fri, 04/03/2015 - 18:56
nick

good luck gaining muscle without compound lifts lol

Posted Fri, 04/03/2015 - 15:38
shane

Probly the lamest April fools joke I came across this year!! there goes 10 mins of my life I'll never get back

Posted Fri, 04/03/2015 - 13:43
Alexander

I was getting angrier and angrier with every section until about 7 or 8 when I realized I got got.

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 23:25
karl

I would completely agree with #1, the bench press puts a lot of stress on the biceps tendon, if done improperly. Thus, damaging the shoulder joint.

Posted Sun, 05/31/2015 - 09:29
T-bar

You're going to completely agree with #1 based on the fact that if the exercise is done improperly it will damage the joint? Well then why not agree with every single one of these ridiculously false statement that were made as a joke? According to your logic they are all dangerous because if you any of them wrong they can cause damage. Better not drive your car today, just in case you do it wrong.

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 17:38
Jon

That was childish and reeks of an infant like man with baby brains who has no taste or decorum. And he's an editor with muscle and strength. Ass hole

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 16:07
big bubu

Lmfao u bastards got me! I was like wdf! Then read number 10 n felt like an idiot hahaha good one!

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 06:36
C.Redd

"Butt-to-the-floor ranges of motion put undue stress" -- in short, you're letting your knees exceed your ankles, which is bad anyway. Essentially, bad form is bad for your physique. How are they showing these exercises don't work?

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 09:00
dan

did you even read the whole thing?

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 04:11
Josh

you got me confused there for few minutes! LOL!

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 03:30
malec

Ha ha ha very funny indeed...truly got me

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 03:28
pokerkerl

This article had me like WHAAAAAT! ... good joke guys

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 01:53
emmily

How can you write fact when it is just your opinion? Just because you can't do something, there is no need put everyone else off. If done correctly they are all effective ways of training.

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 08:59
dan

read the whole damn article.

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 00:47
Jackedtheripped

Damn I just left the gym doing half these workouts... Like shi* did I miss something, well played author.... Well played.....

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 00:14
JustinB

lmao...glad i finished the article, was about to call bs

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 00:11
Silv dog

HAHA! i was about to start swinging, well played

Posted Thu, 04/02/2015 - 00:11
James

By "...the following has been..." I think you must mean "... the preceding has been..."
big difference there, muscleheads.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 23:56
Andy

Ha i what like nooo. U guys are wrong lol. Good one

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 23:43
alvaro

Loved it!!!

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 23:36
anderson muñoz

lol i was reading number one by one and thinking what??? oh thanks God was a joke i really was confused god one

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 21:41
Darren

LOL... April Fool... Well done.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 21:02
David McElroy

I am reading this article and shaking my head slowly till I get to the bottom and yes. It was funny. Funnier still is the thought that anyone would actually believe what is written here and then comment on it. LMAO. April fools.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 20:46

Very Good joke!! You had me on this one. I was like this contradicts almost everything I have ever read or been taught other then barbell bench does wreck shoulders however I still do it every other week.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 20:20
Victor Challenger

The author of this article doesn't have a clue about building muscle. He talks about sculpting exercises as mass builders. Go to a power lift meet and see the massive muscles on the competitors. If we knew anything, he would know that power lifting hits the fast twitch muscles. The fat twitch muscle fiber builds bigger muscles. The article is garbage.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 20:32
Matty

LOOOOOOOOOOL....it's April fools.....read the WHOLE article....

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 20:35
lol

this guy can't even read an article. too stupid.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 21:25
Charlie

Aaaaand Victor is one of those guys that meets the stereotype of "meathead." Builds muscle all day, can't read to save his life. Good job ace... no go add ten more pounds on the bench.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 21:28
Brandi

Read the whole thing before you comment, genius!

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 22:46
marcus

The artible is ok. What make this article great is your GOLD comment. Good luck on you.

Posted Wed, 04/01/2015 - 23:01
frk

you didn't even care to read complete article. You're the biggest April fool ever.