Running the Rack
When running the rack, the rules are:
- Form - Always use good form. If your form starts to break down on a set, stop that set.
- Failure - Do not train to failure. The point of this workout is to overload your chest with a volume of sets. Stop a set if you feel like you may fail on the next rep.
- Rest - Rest at least 2 minutes between each set. You may rest 3-4 minutes between heavy sets if needed.
- Sets - The total number of sets you perform will vary. You will be working up and down in 10 pound dumbbell increments.
Running the Rack - Light to Heavy
For the first set of dumbbell bench presses, pick a weight that allows you to perform around 15 to 20 reps. After resting, perform another set using dumbbells that are 10 pounds heavier. So if you used 60 pounders for your first set, use 70 pound dumbbells for your second set. Continue this pattern of rest and adding weight until you perform 5 or fewer reps for a given set.
Here is an example of running the rack, light to heavy:
- 50 pound dumbbells x 20 reps
- 60 pound dumbbells x 15 reps
- 70 pound dumbbells x 10 reps
- 80 pound dumbbells x 6 reps
- 90 pound dumbbells x 3 reps (5 or fewer reps, so progression upwards in dumbbells is stopped)
Running the Rack - Heavy to Light
Once you reach the point where you performed 5 or fewer reps for a set, you will now start to decrease the weight by 10 pounds per dumbbell. Once again, perform as many reps as possible, stopping all sets shy of failure, or when your form deteriorates.
Note: Only work back down to your starting dumbbell weight, and no lower.
Here is an example of running the rack, heavy to light:
- 80 pound dumbbells x 5 reps
- 70 pound dumbbells x 8 reps
- 60 pound dumbbells x 12 reps
- 50 pound dumbbells x 15 reps
How long can I use this workout?
Running this approach no longer than 8 weeks.
When do I add weight?
Add 5 pounds to the first dumbbell when you are able to perform 20 reps or more.
What are good substitutes for machine chest press and pec dec?
- Machine Chest Press - Incline bench press, Smith machine bench press, chest dips.
- Pec Dec - Dumbbell flyes, cable crossovers.
Can I use this workout more than once per week?
No. Hit it hard in the gym, then rest and recover. This is meant to be performed only once per week.
|Dumbbell Bench Press - Run the Rack||Varies||Varies|
|Machine Chest Press||3||8-12|