- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Pec Dec Instructions
- The pec dec is a great machine for isolating the chest. Before you start, adjust the seat height so that the bottom of the arm pads are about level with your chest when you're sitting on the machine.
- Select the weight you want to use on the stack.
- Sit on the machine, grasp the handles and/or place your forearms on the padding. Take the weight off the stack slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your body fixed, slowly bring the forearm pads or handles together. Don't let them touch.
- Squeeze the chest muscles for a count of 1-3, then slowly lower back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Pec Dec Tips:
- The pec dec is an awesome machine for targeting the pectorals, but you need to use strict technique and focus on stretch and contraction to get the most out of it. Don't let the stack drop during the set.
- Don't touch the pads or handles in the center, and keep your body fixed.
- Don't bring your torso forward as you squeeze the weight up.
- Pause at the top of the exercise (pads in) for a count of 1-3, squeezing the chest for maximum intensity.
- Your upper arms or elbows should be positioned parallel to the floor.