Standing Cable Fly Instructions
- Set both pulleys directly at (or slightly above) shoulder height and select the desired weight.
- Grasp both handles with a neutral grip and take a step forward to split the stance.
- Press the handles to lockout while flexing the pecs and extending the elbows.
- Keep a slight bend in the elbows, move entirely at the shoulder joint, and slowly allow the arms to open while the pecs stretch.
- Return to the starting position by flexing your pecs and bringing the handles together at chest height.
- Slowly lower back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Standing Cable Fly Tips
- Imagine you’re trying to hug a tree while completing the exercise.
- Don’t squeeze the handles excessively tight as this can over recruit the forearms and biceps thereby reducing activation of the pecs.
- Avoid touching or banging the handles together at peak contraction to keep constant tension on the intended muscle groups.
- Always keep a slight bend in the elbows and never lower the weight to the point where you get any sort of pain and pressure at the front of the shoulder joint.
- Ensure you maintain some tension in your abs and don’t allow your lower back to arch excessively.