- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Smith Machine Bench Press Instructions
- Set up for the smith machine bench press by placing a flat bench in the smith machine. Lower the bar and add the weight you want to use.
- Lay back on the bench so that your middle chest is level with the bar.
- Your feet should be firmly planted on the floor for support. Grasp the bar with hands at wider than shoulder width.
- Unload the weight and slowly lower the weight down until the bar is about one inch off your chest.
- Pause, then slowly raise the bar up as far as possible without locking your elbows.
- Repeat this movement for desired reps.
Smith Machine Bench Press Tips:
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight throughout the set.
- Do not "bounce" the bar off your chest.
- Don't lock your elbows out at the top of the movement.
- Use a wider than shoulder width grip so that the emphasis is placed on your chest and not front shoulder muscles.