- 1998 NPC Novice Michigan Teen Champion
- 2003 NANBF Lake Cities Championships 1st place Medium Class
- 2004 NPC Novice Michigan 1st place Middleweight
- 2004 NANBF Central Michigan Championships Overall Champion
- 2004 NPC Flint Mid Michigan Overall Champion
- 2004 NPC Ironman 1st place Middleweight
- 2007 OCB Motown Muscle Classic IFPA Pro Qualifier Overall Champion
- 2008 NPC Natural Ohio Middleweight Champion
- 2010 NPC Northern Kentucky Middleweight Runner Up
What is your background and how did you get started in bodybuilding?
My brother Jason got me into lifting when I was 11. I started to be known for my strength and speed and enjoyed helping others learn how to lift and see results. I then received certifications to be a personal trainer from NASM, 2 from ISSA, WITS, and ACE. I pursued a degree in exercise science and found out about competitive bodybuilding. I have always enjoyed individual sports and was fascinated by the science behind the nutrition and exercise that goes into contest preparation.
Why do you love bodybuilding?
True hard work and effort are rewarded and shown by the physique presented. Each contest a new potential is set for oneself One must be both mentally and physically strong to excel in this sport. A analytical and patient mind must also be exercised to see success. All facets of the individual are challenged during a contest preparation phase. You also need to display a high degree of intelligence in order to calculate grams to calories, time meals, formulate workout plans, track progress, etc… All facets of ones self are challenged and put to the test.
What is your training philosophy?
I periodize my training manipulating volume and intensity to fit the given goal of the phase that I am in. I take a very scientific approach to my training to have an edge over the competition. I also have to due to mediocre genetics. I am fond of rest-pause training and other HIT techniques.
If you have to pick only 3 exercises, what would they be and why?
- Deadlifts - Works the entire body with a focus on legs
- Dumbbell Incline Bench Press - Great adduction of the humorous for maximal chest development as well as good triceps and anterior deltoid involvement.
- Lat Pull Downs - Completes the rest of the upper body (biceps, posterior delts) and works primarily on back width which is a standout on stage.
What's the best training tip you could give to others?
Choose one approach and stick with it A to Z, don’t jump around always trying the “latest technique” or approach.
What is your philosophy on nutrition?
Eat for a healthy metabolism which will address the root cause. Do not cut calories to only address symptoms (bodyfat). Think long term. Moderate protein, moderate carbohydrates, low fat. 40-40-20 is a great starting point.
Give us a typical day in your off season diet:
- Meal 1 - High fiber cereal and milk, 2 whole eggs, 4 egg whites.
- Meal 2 - 3 scoops UMP vanilla.
- Meal 3 - Chili made with low fat beef (93% lean).
- Meal 4 - Post workout shake of 3 scoops Mass Maker and 1 scoop whey isolate (Iso Pure or Muscle Provider).
- Meal 5 - 8 oz chicken or beef, potato, vegetable.
- Meal 6 - 1.5 cups cottage cheese and fruit.
Give us a typical day in your diet (contest prep):
- Meal 1 - 8 egg whites, 1 cup oatmeal.
- Meal 2 - Two scoops Muscle Provider.
- Meal 3 - 150 grams of yam, 8 oz turkey or chicken.
- Meal 4 - Two scoops Muscle Provider or UMP.
- Meal 5 - Green leafy vegetable, 8 oz lean beef.
- Meal 6 - 2 scoops UMP, ½ cup strawberries.
What are your favorite meals and foods?
Steak and potatoes, salmon and mixed stir fried vegetables, burritos made with healthy high fiber wraps and fat free cheese.
Favorite cheat food?
Deep dish pizza, chocolate brownie and ice cream.
What's the best nutrition tip you could give to others?
Don’t cheat during a contest preparation phase and stay lean in the off-season.
What supplements do you use that give you great results? How do you use them?
- Creatine Select - Great for explosive power and strength. 1 scoop daily before training
- Ultimate Muscle Protein (UMP) - Quality blend of fast and slow digesting proteins and some healthy fats.
- Glutamine Select - Sip during training for optimal recovery during caloric restriction and intense training.
What brands do you think are offering the best products at the moment?
Beverly International and Optimum Nutrition Hydro Whey.
What do you think is a good off season muscle building stack?
Quality calories, Creatine Select, Mass Maker Beef Liver Tablets, Mass Amino tablets.
What do you think is a good pre-contest/fat loss stack?
Lean Out, 7 Keto Muscle Lean, Glutamine Select, Quadracarn.
Advice For Others
What are the 3 best tips you'd give to someone thinking about competing in natural bodybuilding?
- Find a qualified professional to take you through the process and only follow that individuals or organizations approach.
- Follow the process selected without deviation the entire time.
- Remember that there is not any magic bullet or easy approach, anyone telling you different is selling you, beware.
What is your best advice for looking your best on competition day?
Remain focused, well rested, and confident. Remember that you trained to win but showed up to compete.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
Think of contest day. Do you want to look back thinking that there was more that you could have done? The pain of regret is 10 times worse than the pain of discipline.
What shows have you got coming up, where can we see you compete?
2010 NPC Natural Ohio (Lakewood Ohio), NPC Great Lakes Natural Ironman (Flint Michigan), NPC Indianapolis.
What would you like to achieve in your natural bodybuilding career?
Win state level titles and compete successfully as a natural professional. This will show and motivate others that you CAN obtain a champion physique naturally.
Who are your favorite bodybuilders and idols?
Jesus Christ and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dorian Yates, Dave Goodin.
How Can People Contact You?
How can people contact you?
People can contact me at: Jesse@sett2win.com