"No" is perhaps a 2 year old's favorite word. It's also a word I find myself repeating over and over again when answering questions about muscle building.
Most lifters have a fear that results will only come once a complex magical formula is unlocked. What they fail to understand is that muscle building is really a simple process.
You lift consistently, use the best tools possible, progress (get a lot stronger), eat so that your body is able to gain muscle mass, and remain patient. Very patient.
To help simplify things I thought it would be fun to list common muscle building questions, and then respond with my favorite answer - no! Here goes...
72 Common Muscle Building Questions
1) Will performing cardio several times per week slow my gains?
2) Will doing yoga slow my gains?
3) Will I lose a lot of muscle if I take a week off from training?
4) Is there a magical rep range?
5) Is there a magical workout routine?
6) Do I need the barbell bench press to build my chest?
7) Is the PCF ratio (Protein/Carbs/Fat) 40-40-20 the only way to go?
8) Will eating carbs at night make me fat?
9) Do I need to frequently deload if I feel fine?
10) Is the Smith machine just as good as barbell exercises?
11) Is squatting with good form still bad for your knees?
12) Is deadlifting with proper form still bad for your back?
13) Do you need to deadlift to build a huge back?
14) Do you need to squat to build huge legs?
15) Great, then it's ok to completely avoid squats and deadlifts for ever and ever?
16) Do I need a loading period when using creatine?
17) Do I need to eat every 2.5-3 hours?
18) If my post-workout meal is sub-par, will I lose my gains for the day?
19) Will having frequent sex limit my gains?
20) Do I need to eat all clean foods?
21) Is there a black and white answer to all muscle building questions?
22) Should I completely avoid lifting straps?
23) Do I need elaborate body part splits?
24) Do I need to train more than 4 days per week?
25) Does protein intake damage your kidneys if they are currently healthy?
26) Does weight training stunt your growth?
27) Can I add another chest training day to "program X"?
28) Can I add another biceps training day to "program Y"?
29) Will doing a lot of ab work give me a six pack?
30) Do I need to count every gram of protein, carbs and fat each day?
31) If I can't sleep 8 hours per day will I be unable to gain?
32) Do I need to train for the pump to make gains?
33) Do I need to train like Dorian Yates to make gains?
34) Do I need to volume train to make gains?
35) I heard that full body workouts are useless. Is that true?
36) Should I use the magazine workouts of top bodybuilding stars?
37) Is Doggcrapp training magical?
38) Is Wendler's 531 magical?
39) Is Starting Strength magical?
40) Is StrongLifts magical?
41) So and so says frequent feeding is useless. Is that true?
42) So and so says intermittent fasting is useless. Is that true?
43) If I eat more than 40 grams of protein per sitting does it go to waste?
44) Will whey protein powder make me fat?
45) Is "eating healthy" good enough when trying to build muscle?
46) Do all pre-workout formulas have the same ingredients?
47) Do I need to train to failure on every set?
48) Can I get as big as a mass monster pro bodybuilder without steroids?
49) I am 5'9" and weigh 260 pounds. My mom's scale says my body fat percentage is 12%. Is this correct?
50) Can I gain 40 pounds of muscle in 8 weeks?
51) My bench press has "only" went up 10 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Is this a plateau?
52) Do I need to worry about TUT - time under tension?
53) Can I get big without adding much strength?
54) Should I curl in the squat rack?
55) Will a beard really help my lift totals?
56) Are all powerlifters fat?
57) Should I make up my own workouts from scratch if I've never made gains?
58) Will women look like Arnold Schwarznegger if they train with resistance?
59) Does eating fat make you fat?
60) When I decide to cut, do I immediately need to add a ton of cardio?
61) I heard I should never train when I am sore. Is this correct?
62) The 1-5 rep range doesn't build muscle, correct?
63) High rep sets can't build muscle, correct?
64) Should I deload every time I have a bad training day?
65) Do I need to change workout programs every 8 weeks?
66) If I train over 60 minutes will I lose all my gains?
67) Do I need slow negatives to build muscle?
68) I was told I can't build muscle with machine exercises. Is this correct?
69) Is creatine a steroid?
70) Does every Youtube form video really teach proper form?
71) Will high reps give me muscle definition?
72) Should I train differently when I am cutting?
No. Need clarification about any of these questions? Post a comment below or on the Muscle & Strength forum, and I will respond in a timely manner.
Are there any muscle building questions you would add to this list?