100 Rep Hell: A Shocker Muscle Building Workout

Need a change? You’ve come to the right workout. This one week shocker is meant to break through the boredom and monotony, and beat your body into growth.

Workout Summary

Build Muscle
Split
Intermediate
Barbell, EZ Bar, Machines
Male & Female

Workout Description

Need a change? You've come to the right workout. This one week shocker is meant to break through the boredom and monotony, and beat your body into growth.

This will not be an easy week of training. You will be sore as hell, and a few days in you might be tempted to quit altogether. Stock with it. It will be worth it.

100 Rep Hell Workout Notes

This muscle building workout is a great choice for lazy, long weeks when you don't have much on your schedule. There are 3 things you need to do to help maximize this week of brutality:

1. Sleep. Sleep, sleep and sleep some more. When you're not sleeping, rest. Sit on your butt and watch a movie.
  2. Eat. Eat, eat and eat some more. When you're not eating, rest and plan your next high calorie meal. Aim for 4000+ calories per day, minimum. No excuses! Your body will need the fuel. Trust me.
  3. Drink water. Drink water, and then drink more. Pound the water, or better yet - pound whole milk.

Reps and Sets

You will be performing 100 reps per exercise. There is no specific set and rep schemes. You want to perform 100 total reps, resting as often as you need to get there. Keep the rest periods short and sweet.

Catch your breath, regain your composure, and then knock out a few more reps. Depending on the exercise, 100 reps might take you 20 minutes or 45 minutes. Do not add anything to these workouts. Doing so is foolish.

The 100 Rep Hell Workout Program

Working Weights. Use the following weights for each of the listed exercises:

100 Rep Hell Workout Routine
Exercises & Weight Used
Exercise Description
Deadlift 50% of your one rep max.
Seated Calf Raise Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Bench Press 50% of your one rep max.
Skullcrushers Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Barbell Rows 50% of your one rep max.
Barbell Curls Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Seated Overhead Press 50% of your one rep max.
Barbell Shrugs Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
Squats 50% of your one rep max.
Leg Curls Use a weight that would normally allow you to perform about 12-15 reps per set.
4.2 STARS
32 VOTES
About The Author
Muscle & Strength's Content Team is a group of fitness industry experts dedicated to publishing the highest quality articles, workouts and guides on the M&S Website.

60 Comments+ Post Comment

Posted Tue, 11/25/2014 - 02:50
Luke

Good to break monotony thats for sure!

Posted Thu, 03/06/2014 - 21:21
Byron Jones III

After last nights workout on the bench press, and the skull crushers, I am really feeling it today. I honestly didn't think the reps on the bench would be as difficult, but after about 60 reps, there were moments that I could do no more than two or three reps without taking a break. Insane workout!

Posted Sat, 03/01/2014 - 18:23
Adam

Would you recommend this workout for an endomorph? My usual training doesn't seem to be helping me gain weight anymore

Posted Sat, 02/22/2014 - 07:51
vaibhav

What does 50% of your one rep max mean ??

Posted Tue, 06/16/2015 - 03:40
Wesd

If you're 1 rep max = 200 pounds, you're doing the 100 reps with 50% of that = 100 pounds

Posted Wed, 01/22/2014 - 02:48
rufus

sorry - one thing stands out - 100 reps squat on Sunday (surely involves similar muscles to) the 100 reps deadlift on Monday- the training idea is good - but if you don't want to screw your lower back I would suggest a different split giving more rest between the squat and the deadlift- or conversely squat one week and deadlift the next

Posted Sun, 11/10/2013 - 07:51
SUBHOJIT

how many set i will do

Posted Wed, 10/16/2013 - 18:51
Matt

I just took a week off from working out....would this be too much to jump into my first week back?

Posted Tue, 10/15/2013 - 18:58
Matt

Would this be ok to hit coming off of a week of downtime?

Posted Tue, 10/08/2013 - 22:55
Matt

I have been into a strength and mass workout for 8 weeks now...should I deload a week before this routine to avoid overtraining or maybe just after? Thanks to any suggestions.

Posted Tue, 10/01/2013 - 10:47
TDawg119

So far I've done two days of this training method, doing 6 exercises were muscle group each day. First day chest and second day legs. Sore and worn out only begins to describe my state. Today is day 3, going for shoulders, and finish up tomorrow with back. Chest and Legs are still feeling engorged even with a day off yesterday. Feeling AWESOME!!!!!

Posted Wed, 09/04/2013 - 13:06
marco

Hi steve what are your meal plans for this workout ?

Posted Fri, 08/23/2013 - 13:26
nik

I started to do this last week just to change it up a bit, but keep in mind, or at least case with me, you wont be doing 4-5 exercises per body part like you are used to, i did 3 for legs and 2 for chest and i was totally spent, its a good muscle shocker, leave your ego outside of the gym and give it a try

Posted Mon, 08/05/2013 - 08:34
John Oilver

Thanks Steve, trying this today.

I recently changed my diet .. for the better.. and have seen pretty good improvements doing 12 weeks of a 5-day split. ( chest/back/shoulders/legs/arms/rest/rest ) I was going to try mix it up a little bit since my progress has slowed over the last month.

What would you say to using this set-up for a week then going on a 10 weeks course of 5x5 lifting?

198lbs - 6ft - low bodyfat. 1rm bench - 125kg, 1rm dead - 170kg, 1rm squat 140kg.

Thanks!
John

Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:15
Jonathan

LOL how I train now anyway. Leg day (10x10 1 min rest between sets at 60-65% max) for example. Volume training is epic. 50% of your 1rm is too light imo.

Posted Thu, 08/01/2013 - 08:54
RoriePaul

I might have missed this, but what is the goal for this type of workout? I'm looking for a quick change from two months of strength and mass building.

Posted Wed, 07/31/2013 - 07:08
brandon mink

so should I shoot for 100 reps without resting or should I go 25to 30 short rest then 25-30 short rest

Posted Tue, 07/30/2013 - 22:36
Bonerchild

Whatever dude

Posted Sat, 07/20/2013 - 18:26
Graham Mann

I cannot do the full programme because of other commitments so I have made an adaptation of it as follows and would like some expert advice on my choice thanks.

Monday. Bench press and barbell curl.

Tuesday. circuit training.

Wednesday. Wide grip pull ups (100 omg think I might die) tricep press (I cannot do skull crushers due to an old break in my arm)

Thursday. Circuit training.

Friday. Barbell shoulder press and shrugs.

I also run 3 times a week.

Since im not doing the 5 days a week version what would the recommended calorie intake be? and protein carb ratio. Thanks for any and all help.

Posted Mon, 07/15/2013 - 10:27
Monika

Hi Steve

I work out everyday, I eat clean every 3 hrs 6 times a day. I am 5' 3" 120 lbs and 19% bf.
I have very hard time putting on muscle. What can you advice ?

Monika

Posted Sat, 06/22/2013 - 19:10
Ricky

Hey Steve,

I have searched through plenty of the workouts on here, and just wondered if you could recommend what is best for me.
I am only 5' 5", 67kg, with about 9.5% body fat. I have very hard muscles, and a good 6 pack - My eating is very good and i hit the gym between 4-6 times per week, Pound for pound im pretty strong; push 112.5kg flat bench 1RM, and tend to rep 105kgs on 4-6reps.
I am about to send pictures to try and get in a magizine, and want to get that extra bit more ripped. Im fine with my size, I dont need to add more muscle, and I dont need to lose weight. If either happens thats fine. But my goal is to get as ripped as possible, so perhaps losing 1-2% of body fat.
Firstly, can I get closer towards my taget in 3 weeks? (thats when I have to get my pictures into the magizine by), and secondly, which routine would you recommend I use? Im currently using 'dougs 5 day high definition routine' but wanted to see if there was anything better for my goals.
The only supplements I am using is kre-alacline creatine (i think thats the name-its not the monohydrate one, as I dont want any water retention) and USN pure protein igf-1. My diet is very good, although I'm never really sure how much carbs/protein i should be taking per day, but I eat either oats with almond milk in morning, or eggs on wholegrain. A protein shake striaght after workout (with creatine capsules before and after) followed by a meal, with either chicken, sweet potato, plenty of veg, avocado, and snack on nuts or tuna sandwich between dinner, eating every 2-3hours (occasionally a peice of fruit, but this tends to be pre workout) and then dinner, either chicken/turkey/fish, with veg, wholemeal pasta/or brown rice, with just olive oil as dressings. and before go to bed, sometimes bowl of cerial with almond milk and a protien shake (mine has cassien protein in)...

Sorry such a long post, but when i see you replying to others, you always ask for more info.. so thought i'd give you lots of info!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Ricky.

Posted Fri, 06/14/2013 - 20:16
Jim

Can you change the exercise given to another alternative same muscle exercise? If let say you do not have barbell at home?

Posted Thu, 05/23/2013 - 17:19
britton mooney

this is a great workout just finished and it is not for the weak minded u will have to stay focused and push through your breaking point.there is no reason why you can not do this unless u are a person who can except failure which i can not so push through and bask in the glory of success

Posted Fri, 04/26/2013 - 03:32
Ray J.

Okay, I don't mean to insult or offend anyone...but seriously people.... READ! You dumba**es ;)
Scrolling through this post i've seen as much as 8 people saying that they either make this their full routine or they try this on a regular basis.

THIS WORKOUT IS A ONE TIME ONLY !!!!!!!!!!

Meaning you should only throw this is once every so often. Maybe as little as once every 3 months.
Maybe during a holiday or something. It's designed and intended to function as a shocker. To be used to throw your body off and cause it to perform out of the usual routine and the usual habits.

This workout is NOT a routine workout ! Please. READ.

Posted Mon, 04/22/2013 - 21:33
Jonathan Clark

Anyone got some tips for me to build some muscle? I have an 8 pack, I can only curl 25lb, can only bench 70 max 1 rep, and can't do much else. I have a nice weight set but can't use it it's in storage, but have access to some fumbles and a barbell ( with weight plates)

Posted Mon, 04/22/2013 - 21:28
Jonathan Clark

Hey Steve,
I'm 15 and weigh100 even and I'm 5'6, do you think this would help me build some more muscle and gain some weight?

Posted Mon, 03/25/2013 - 20:34
Erik

Sounds great, but do have any recommendations for a substitute for squat and deadlift? i had surgery about 2 months ago on my back and well, no pressure on the lower back

Posted Mon, 03/25/2013 - 08:28
Ivan

how should we perform 100 reps using weight that would normally allow us to perform 12-15 reps?! should I take a one minute rest or something between every 20 or 50 reps?

Posted Sat, 03/23/2013 - 09:48
chaz

im 140 lbs 5 '6 and iv been doing this work out for 2 weeks now
im seeing more tone and a little size gain
if i keep this as my every day routine would that be good for me?
i also run 3 miles a day 5 times out of the week.

Posted Thu, 03/21/2013 - 10:52
Nate Jewell

Steve, will this workout help gain size? With so many reps at relatively low weight, I feel like this would just help with muscular endurance as opposed to building muscle. I'm looking for a new program now and am open to many different suggestions.

Joey's picture
Posted Thu, 03/21/2013 - 12:40
Joey

This is great for building muscle but you should NOT look to it to be your new routine. This is not meant to be done week after week -- rather, you can throw it in to your current routine now and again. I wouldn't do it more than once every few months.

Posted Wed, 03/20/2013 - 18:34
Darren

I got amazing results from this, yet again Steve you have brought me to the next level. There were definitely some humbling moments though, like bench press....But my body is really used to training (thank goodness) and i'm seeing some great changes and even better feeling again the changes i have been craving. Keep it up!!

Posted Thu, 03/07/2013 - 21:37
Fernando

one question. how many times in a month should I try this?

Posted Thu, 03/07/2013 - 21:37
Fernando

this sounds good im gonna try it out later.

Posted Fri, 03/01/2013 - 09:01
yitmy

My only question is doesn't this border on overtraining?

Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:23
Jonathan

If you understand physiology you will realise this is not overtraining because he isnt telling you to do this every day, overtraining is lack of rest, too much training and not enough nutrition. If you do this and get enough rest and nutrition then how can you overtrain

Posted Mon, 02/25/2013 - 06:05
Aaron

So you do this for 2 months? dang, ill be ripped!

Posted Sun, 02/24/2013 - 11:19
panos

how often should we repeat this workout? Once a month is ok? By the way, hell of a job guys thanks for everything....

Posted Sat, 02/23/2013 - 21:06
Dimitri

Thanks Joey....should of read it from the start instead of jumping right into routine part...lol

Posted Fri, 02/22/2013 - 05:35
Dimitri

So for how many weeks should I do this? Or is it a one week thing and that's it?

Joey's picture
Posted Fri, 02/22/2013 - 11:38
Joey

One week ONLY! You can take a break from your current routine and throw this in the mix.

Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 21:52
Mark

This working hurts, in a good way, just finished up the deadlifts and calve raises whewww wow

Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 13:50
Maik Wiedenbach

we used to train like this 4 weeks out of the year.....horrible memories:)

Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 13:30
simon

Hey Steve thanks for that.. i started today and i must say it was a lot harder than i thought it would have been. thing is tendonitis 2 months later wont let me train chest n shoulders. any tips would be highly appreciated.

thanks

Posted Fri, 08/02/2013 - 08:19
Jonathan

Tendonidis is from having too tight muscles pulling on your ligaments usually. So work on mobility, stretch, daily.

Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 12:54
irving

must try im excited !!

Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 05:07
Ryan

Can't wait to give this a go!

Posted Wed, 02/20/2013 - 04:15
flyguy

I've tried this workout, did not see size gain but instead felt totally dehydrated and exhausted muscles felt decreasing mass as if I'm cutting so I will rather go between 8-10 rep range on 3-4 sets pyramid training feel much better abd see more results and gain more size.

Posted Sat, 04/27/2013 - 15:37
Ghost

You didn't follow his guides then, you did not eat enough and drink. I felt fine with good amount of intake.

Posted Mon, 02/18/2013 - 23:16
Chris

Nevermind, I over looked the answer to my question.