Overtraining - Why Less Is More

This article will explore the reasons behind over training. Learn how many trainers know exactly why they shouldn't over train?

It is often the case that when someone discovers the gym for the first time and really gets into training they will work out for hours upon end hitting the same body part 3-4 times per week, training 7 days a week. This article will explore the reasons behind over training, it’s easy to be told ‘Your workout lasts too long’ or ‘you’re doing too many sets’ but people often ignore this advice. Hopefully after reading this article you will understand WHY you are over training and make the necessary changes to your routine to start gaining some serious muscle!

What is Overtraining?

Let’s start off with a quick definition of overtraining:

Overtraining occurs when you push your body too hard and pass the point that your body is able to recover from. To make gains you must overload the muscles and then allow adequate time for recovery and growth by resting. Overtraining occurs when either the overload is too high, or the rest period aka recovery time is too low.

Workout Intensity.

Now, you must train with a high enough intensity to overload the muscles which cause’s tiny tears to occur in the muscle fibres. After training these tears start to repair and then grow back slightly larger than before when your body has fully recovered from training.

Training with an intensity that is too low, for example not completing enough sets, or not using enough weight will not effectively break down the muscle fibres meaning no growth will occur as the fibres will not grow back larger and stronger than before if they have not been effectively overloaded during training… If the muscles can handle the weight that is being moved easily then there is no need for them to grow bigger and stronger.. So they won’t!

On the other hand training with an intensity that is too high will cause the muscle fibres to break down past a point of recovery, meaning the tears in the muscle are more severe and will require days of rest, or even weeks and months of rest and therapy in some more severe cases of over training.

When the intensity of your training is too high you are not allowing the muscles enough time to recover and rebuild. Over training can occur from training a muscle group before it has had time to fully recover from a previous session, such as training each body part 2-3 times per week… After you have finished training, the muscles that you worked will take usually somewhere between 24-48 hours to recover from training. It is only AFTER this period of recovery that any growth occurs, this is why for example training your arms on a Monday and again on a Wednesday is not recommended as although you may feel ok and ready to train them again and any soreness from the previous workout may have gone, the reality is that the muscles have only just entered the window of time in which any growth will occur, and working the same muscles again will break them back down and prevent any growth.

Less is More.

Many people are under the impression that more is better, however this is often not the case when trying to gain muscle. To break this down and make it a little easier to understand, think of digging a hole, the time that you spend in the gym training is equivalent to digging a hole, the time your body needs after to recover from training is how long it takes to re-fill the hole, and piling a mound of dirt on top of the hole is growth of the muscle. So, you can pile extra dirt on top ONLY when the hole has been re-filled, which takes time! If you dig a hole that is too deep, it will take too long to re-fill… and there will be no time to place extra dirt on top… this means no muscle growth!! Training a body part 2 days in a row would be equivalent to digging one hole, and then continuing to dig the same hole even deeper the next day… you will never have the chance to pile any dirt on top which means you will never gain any muscle training like this…. In fact you are moving backwards, you will probably be losing muscle and almost certainly over training!

How Many Sets Should I do?

The key is to find a balance between training with a high enough intensity to break down the muscle fibres without training so much that your body cannot recover from the training. This will vary from person to person and there is no exact routine of method of training that will guarantee the best results for everybody, you have to find what works for your own body. I often see people asking how many sets they should complete for each muscle group and although each individual is different and there are no exact numbers that will work for everyone I can give a recommended set range for each muscle group, this is aimed at those who are training for muscle gains and have some background training under their belt, preferably at least some sort of beginners routine for 10 weeks or so. Larger muscle groups like back and legs can obviously be trained with more sets than the smaller muscle groups like biceps that can get an intense workout from just a few exercises. Another common mistake of overtraining is hitting the biceps with too many sets, you could walk into almost any gym and find someone doing 20 odd sets on their biceps being under the incorrect impression that ‘more is better’.

Here is a recommended set range for each muscle group:

The rep ranges for muscle building is 6-12 reps per set and you should be lifting with a weight that you struggle to complete the last couple reps on each set with good form. Once you hit your rep range with good form it is time to move up in weight. It is important that no one under the age of 18 is lifting heavy weights and/or using a low rep range. If you are under the age of 18 and looking for training advice visit the Muscle and Strength forum where you can find articles and routines specific to teenage trainers.

The numbers listed do not include warm up sets. (Warm up sets should always be done first, usually one set very light weight and one set at approx 50% of your training weight as well as stretches.)

Some muscles such as the Abdominals and Calves do recover faster than other muscle groups and can be trained twice per week but again the effectiveness of training them once per week or twice per week will vary from person to person. The figures listed above are just a general outline for those who are confused as to how many sets each muscle group can take, or indeed to highlight to some people that they may be over training a certain muscle group if they are not seeing results. I am not saying everyone should stick within these ranges by any means, if you find that 15 sets for your triceps is most effective for you and provides the best results for you then stick with it! However most natural trainers will find that the most effective number of sets to complete in their workout will be within the above ranges.

As I have just explained, rest is important and you only need 3-4 exercises max per muscle group per workout, now the ideal rest between sets is 60-90 seconds, and 2-3 minutes between each exercise. If you do the math then these numbers should mean that your workout is easily completed within an hour, possibly if training 2 muscle groups and then abs as well it may last a little longer but should never be more than 90 minutes as again this is overtraining.

Not including warm-ups and stretching I would advise to keep your workout time below 60 minutes, after this time your body starts to break down its own muscle tissue to use as fuel. This is due to a stress hormone called Cortisol that is released in high amounts after you have spent so much time lifting.

The Muscle Building Routine.

Now that I have told you how to avoid overtraining and more importantly the reasons why you should avoid overtraining, I will show you an example muscle building workout routine that I have created. The routine is a 4 day split and follows all of the above guidelines, you should never be working out for longer than 60 minutes using this routine:

More workouts listed in the workouts section. You can find my full 4 day split muscle building routine here.

Monday: Chest & Triceps

Tuesday: Legs

Thursday: Shoulders

Friday: Back & Biceps

Full workout here: Shaun's 4 Day Muscle Building Split Routine.

So remember to train hard, but it's the quality of your training not the quantity that will bring you the best results.

References:
(30/10/2007) Robert DiMaggio http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dimaggio12.htm

Related Articles View all Workout Articles

Shaun started training seriously in 2006. Using the knowledge gained from Muscle and Strength, he has packed on the muscle and dropped his body fat %.
American ISO

Superior Taste, Instant Solubility, and High Concentration of BCAAs!*

Xtend

Scientific Blend of Aminos for Enhanced Energy & Recovery!*

4.6

matt
Posted Mon, 12/21/2009 - 22:35

hey Ive just move houses so im not going gym anymore im working out at home and i got a bench press a bar and dumbbells, don't have much weight yet, so when i do my chest and triceps day, if i do 15 reps and 4 sets will i gain muscle? or be toned? because i would want to gain big muscle and toned what should i do? i hope all this makes scenes, thanks.

sam
Posted Mon, 03/15/2010 - 23:25

First off, the amount of sets or weight you lift has nothing to do with how toned you will be. It all depends on how much bodyfat you have. The normal way to go about being big AND toned is to go through a period of bulking, and then cutting after you achieve the muscle gains you wanted.

jason
Posted Sun, 03/27/2011 - 16:52

Hi sam, this article is great at explaining what to do and not do. I've always done more with less rest, which is what not to do, but has worked in getting me tone for vacations. But, I definitely lost muscle and size while cutting down. I'm going to follow this workout the next 2 months to gain size. I'd like to cut the slow, correct way to try and keep my gains from the building stage. I have done the p90x workout & lots of cardio to get cut before, but I loss alot of strength, size and muscle, probably due to cutting the calories too much.

How do I adjust this workout or add to it for cutting purposes? Cardio? Should I do HIT cardio on off days or in the mornings?
How do I calculate a good calorie intake?
How long should I give myself to get cut before vacation?

Thanks,
Jason

Posted Tue, 12/22/2009 - 09:27

Gaining muscle generally involves progression of weight and proper diet. It's not what you do, it's the "trying to do more" that's the first step in success.

robby
Posted Fri, 07/09/2010 - 04:59

Hi,

The overtraining article is brilliant - easy to understand and logical.

Quick query, though. I often do "classes" at the gym such as "commando workout" whereby they tend to be a mixture of bodyweight exercises (such as press-ups), light-weight exercises (eg lunges or delt-raises holding 5kg weight) and cardio.

If I work out chest on a Monday, does that mean I should avoid thses classes (or even doing press-ups at home) until Weds/Thurs? Or, put another way, even if I have trained my chest is it Ok to do push-ups in off-days or do I leave well alone and send all/any chest exercises into exile until the next weights session for the chest?

Thanks,
Robby

Posted Fri, 07/09/2010 - 09:13

Hi Robby,

This would depend on your goals, and how well you believe you are progressing towards them. In general, you should be OK with this commando workout as long as you feel good, and don't feel as if they are impacting your weight training workouts. I would hate to see you drop something you enjoy if it isn't impacting your progress.

What are your primary goals?

Robby
Posted Mon, 07/12/2010 - 14:43

Primary goals are to look good which, for me, entails a bit more muscle and a bit more definition.
It's a fine line I guess re overtraining. I've just had 4 days off (partly enforced) and rather than feel great I feel fat and lethargic! That said, when I do train Mon to Friday I do find it quite hard to get going on Thursday (although not quite DOMS).
Any suggestions, perhaps move to a 4 day split (with some classes?)
Thanks for your help,
Robby

Posted Mon, 07/12/2010 - 15:31

I would stay on the side of caution. You don't want to be lethargic and tired. Better to work out a bit less than a bit more.

Adam
Posted Tue, 08/24/2010 - 21:03

How long between sets should you rest for Hypertrophy?

Posted Wed, 08/25/2010 - 14:40

Hi Adam,

Rest about 90 to 120 seconds in between most sets, and up to 3-5 minutes for heavy, taxing sets.

jack
Posted Wed, 09/08/2010 - 14:49

hi basicly iv just finished a routine which involved low reps ie 6 to 8 mainly 8, occasionaly going too 9 reps

i am planning to train
monday_ chest
tuesday_ back and bis
wednesday_ shoulders
thursday legs
friday TRICEPS

i am training triceps by themselves because they are lagging and really want to focus on them
i want to do 12 sets for them
i am wandering if i can do these sets

as i am going to to do 7 sets of narrow grip_ 15 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps 8 reps 6 reps

2 overhead sets 10 to 12 reps

3 reverse grips 10_12 reps

my question is can i do and even add another set to this routine as i am training with realtively high reps?

Posted Thu, 09/09/2010 - 13:26

Hi Jack,

First and foremost I want to make sure you are trying to maximize every set. Using good form, always push yourself on every set. When you can perform the recommended number of reps for a set, add weight. If you are doing this, you will make the fastest possible gains.

I can't say that I would recommend adding in any additional work. Your workout is a triceps-heavy workout as it stands.

jack
Posted Mon, 09/20/2010 - 07:31

hi sory its me again iv trained my routine around quite a lot realsing more is not better

im gna work shoulders and trcieps together now

do u think 6 sets of narrow grip press is enough sets for trcieps after doing 5 shoulder presses during the same routine

Posted Mon, 09/20/2010 - 18:59

Hi Jack,

I think so. Narrow grip press is a very effective exercise.

ed
Posted Sun, 11/28/2010 - 23:41

why is there 9 sets for biceps???

isnt the recommended set range around 6
since biceps are alredy hit hard with back exercises
in which u pull

Posted Thu, 12/02/2010 - 13:35

Hi Ed,

Biceps can be worked effectively with around 6 to 9 sets per week.

Furhad
Posted Tue, 04/05/2011 - 18:10

Hi, i am 14 and have cousins that are intense body builders i have started also but the thing is i dont have a gym membership but i do have dumbells and a simple little workout machine that has a (sprry dont know the names) pull down bar, a thing where u put each arm on bar and u basicly just push and bring ur arms back at a 90* angle then push again, and it also has a thing for your legs and is for your thighs. I am skinny but i really want to get a toned shape. I usually work put 4-5 a week i do ea thing in 5 sets and about 15-20 reps each. I drink muscle milk by cytosport and i work out for about 60min but i havent seen much results can you please help me and tell me what im doing wrong?

Dallas
Posted Tue, 06/28/2011 - 12:02

Good article, so my routine goes like this:
Mon-Chest/Back/Triceps/Abs
Tue-Legs/Shoulders/Biceps/Forearms
Wed-Cardio/Abs
Thurs-Chest/Back/Triceps
Fri-Legs/Shoulders/Biceps/Forearms/Abs
Sat-Rest
Sun-Rest

The first and second part of the week are different workouts.
I'm looking to gain more muscle, what do you think of this routine.

Francesco Provinzano
Posted Tue, 09/27/2011 - 23:32

hello first congrats on your article good job. i was just gonna say that after i compleete my workout through these guidlines i dont feel like i got a good workout after words is this normal.

mm
Posted Sun, 10/16/2011 - 17:05

i like the article but very quick question.
is it ok to do 15 set bench press with 10 rep on each set for once every week as a part of the routine. focusing on progressive weight increase every 2 weeks?
thanks
mm

Posted Wed, 10/19/2011 - 15:24

Hi MM,

That's overkill and not needed. I recommend following one of the workouts on M&S. It will provide you with a more balanced training approach.

mm
Posted Wed, 10/19/2011 - 20:34

thanks for the reply. i was kind a confused by the number of the sets.
i have been doing bench press : 15 set x 10 rep for few weeks (1 minute resting for first 0-5, 90 sec between 6 to 10 set, 120 sec for the 10-15 set), very nice development on my chest but my shoulders, triceps are killing me for few days.
i am still learning and experiencing and this article is really awesome.
thanks
mm

Nicole
Posted Thu, 10/27/2011 - 22:54

So what you are saying is this... In order for me to see results ( I want to be more than tone) I want muscle's lol nice firm over all look. I am 5'2 and 125 lbs, but soft :( I always went to the gym but now at my age 36 i want to be firm, but I am not sweating at the gym while lifting weights . so you are saying lift heavy, go for 6-7 reps... and how many sets???? I dont understand. please help.. I want results. also any good tips on how many times to work your body part and a good meal \ drink after a workout, thanks so much for you help Cheers Nicole :)

Chris
Posted Sun, 10/30/2011 - 10:24

Hey, just wondering what your opinion is on my workout:

I am 16 and have been lifting for about a year now, and have made significant gains in mass and strength.
About 3 months ago I started Arnold's workout.
Mon/Wed/Fri
Chest back legs calves forearms and abs
Tues/Thurs/Sat
Biceps triceps shoulders calves forearms abs..
This means I train each body part 3 times a week.

I haven't notices any signs of overtraining,
I have however noticed more muscle gains, and strength gains.

Do you think this is overtraining? I am never sore the days I workout, if I am I spend the day resting instead.

Cheers,
Chris

mm
Posted Sun, 10/30/2011 - 23:04

hi again,
for legs all we need is 15-20 sets for a week.
if you do only squats(which works all the leg muscles), does it mean i need to do 15-20 sets of squat?
thanks in advance for your time.
mm

Christian
Posted Mon, 10/31/2011 - 21:53

Well, I worked out each body part twice a week in my early twenties and saw great gains. I'm 31 now and I've been doing each muscle group once a week because of friends telling me not to over train. I'm not gainging like I want to. I've been doing this for a little over a year. This week I'm starting to do the twice a week again to see what happens.

Alaa Ghazi
Posted Mon, 11/21/2011 - 12:19

Hello Steve,

I am wondering if working out a muscle group once a week is enough to maintain muscles, increase strength and lose fats..
I consider myself as new to the body building world,cause i stopped working out for almost 7 years.
Currently i am 206 Lbs and 5'10'
Age 28.
I read mainly all articles available regarding the best workouts and the best practices and found out too many differences between most of these articles.
Currently i am using the Doud 5 days trainig but i am cutting it short in 4 days...cant do any cardio for the coming few weeks as i have an injury in my ankles, but i am trying to control my weight through my diet.

Posted Fri, 12/09/2011 - 13:47

Once a week is fine.
You want to focus on two things to maximize results:

1) Pushing yourself in the gym. Using good form, always push yourself on every set. When you can perform the recommended number of reps for a set, add weight.

2) Eating to maximize muscle retention while cutting fat. Here are two articles that can help:

gabe
Posted Thu, 01/05/2012 - 23:48

i run for 30 min after my workout,,is this ok or does it cause a cortisol release? btw great article,solid info

Steve G
Posted Tue, 01/24/2012 - 19:51

I can only get to the gym M0nday - Thursday. So how would you set up the routine if i can only workout 4 days in a row. Thanks

Dann
Posted Wed, 01/25/2012 - 14:14

great article man. I've got a q.... would i be better to incorporate the numbers of sets you recommend into an upper/lowr body split routine like this:
Monday: Upper body
Tuesday: Lower
Wednesday off
Thursday Upper
Friday Lower

would that work as good?
Daniel

hardy
Posted Tue, 01/31/2012 - 00:24

hi steve

This ir reall help for me to start up with getting a gud shape and boddy mass..

All i want is a good body like 300 movie :-) not huge mass just perfect cuts with tight muscels..should i concentrate more on cardio for this..

Nickjrem
Posted Sun, 02/12/2012 - 04:50

There is much conflicting advice across a multitude of fitness sites.
Avoiding overtraining seems to be one point however on which all agree.

What I don't get though, is this : why do,say,construction workers develop strong physiques by doing the same thing at the same intensity every day?
Surely their work constitutes "overtraining" and should lead to under-developed musculature? Yet the opposite is the case.

Can anybody explain this apparent contradiction ?
Thank you.

Nickjrem
Posted Tue, 02/14/2012 - 02:47

Despite conflicting information across many fitness websites , one point on which all agree is the need to avoid overtraining.

What I don't get , though , is why certain folks - eg construction workers - develop excellent physiques through their work. Surely doing a heavy manual job five days a week is "overtraining" , so we would think such people would have poor musculature. Yet , the opposite is the case.

Why does "overtraining" not have a detrimental effect on them ?

Nick

Jay
Posted Wed, 03/21/2012 - 10:39

Nick, I believe it has something to do with the construction workers work. Yes they are constantly lifting heavy stuff, but they arent necessarily "working and lifting until their arms explode". The work they do is heavy, but probably more of an endurance workout, plus theyre shedding calories and building a tiny bit of muscle every week.

Andy
Posted Tue, 04/24/2012 - 01:02

Hey I took a week off of training and since then I have gone to the gym everyday for two weeks (14 days in a row). My typical workout routine has looked like this
monday- chest
tuesday-biceps and triceps
wednesday-shoulders
thursday-back
friday-chest
saturday-biceps and triceps
sunday-shoulders
and so on..
I know I need to start working out my legs and I am going to add that in now. I also workout my abs 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week. My cardio workouts are not too intense though they range from full court basketball for an hour or so to running sprints or a mile or two. I do abs and cardio on alternating days.

I am trying to tone my body and get cut, and I know I shouldn't work out this much without taking a few days off, I just got carried away after taking that week off.

My workouts usually last about an hour and 15 minutes, in which I workout the different parts of each muscle group (example lower chest, upper chest...) and do three sets on each exercise. I often superset them like doing bicep curls and then tricep kickbacks as soon as I finish the curls. I don't take long breaks in between sets either. I don't have a certain amount of exercises that I plan on doing either I just work each muscle until I am too tired to do anymore. I usually start with two exercises for each muscle group involving heavier weight and less reps, and then move on to lower weight with more reps (maybe 10-20 depending on the exercise).

I have seen some good results fast over these two weeks, but I know that I shouldn't keep this pace up. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me on how I could get results from spending less time in the gym, or just advise on my workouts in general.

Also, I don't take any supplements or protein or anything like that, I just try to eat healthy and when Im hungry.

mm
Posted Sun, 05/06/2012 - 15:10

is this a balance work out routine?
all the in puts highly appreciated.

MONDAY CHEST,SHOULDER,TRICEP

Preacher CURL 2 x10

SATURDAY LEGS
LEG CURLS 3X10
HAMSTRING CURLS 3X10

David Scoty
Posted Wed, 05/16/2012 - 13:14

Help!! Looking for thoughts on a workout combination:

Large muscles:
Exercises 1 & 2 - 5x5
Exercise 3 - 8x8 (Vince Gironda style)
Exercise 4 - 1 set 3xrest pause 11-15 (Doggcrapp style)
Small muscles:
Exercises 1 - 5x5
Exercise 2 - 8x8 (Vince Gironda style)
Exercise 3 - 1 set 3xrest pause reps 11-15 (Doggcrapp style)

Read recently about dc training and I like VG style. So thought about combining with some 5x5. Looking for feedback. Looking to start in June (been off sick for 3 months due too ruptured achilles. Doing a 3exercises of 6x5 - last set is a 1/2weight burn out set to keep strength up for my return, on machines as using crutches)

Gym user for 5yrs, 3-5sessions per week depending on work (70hr per week - includes 4hrs a day travelling). Can't train too heavy (below 3reps) as my joint damage (due too basketball/mma & a car crash) on ankles/knees/hip/l elbow/r shoulder hurts to fk after for up to a week. Looking for strength and conditioning though.

Usually alternate every 4weeks between:
Fst7 - 6-8reps on first few exercise & 15reps on last
10 8 6 15
6-8 first 3sets and last set of 15reps

Or can some pass a good workout routine over.

Cheers
Davie

Angie
Posted Fri, 06/08/2012 - 07:44

This is perfect!!just what I was looking for but do u have a training plan for women?

Cody
Posted Mon, 06/11/2012 - 09:51

If I were to do all 5 days of this workout every other day, along with a good, balanced diet for both lift days and rest days, would i still be gaining muscle? And why or why not?

will
Posted Tue, 06/12/2012 - 01:40

Hi Steve,
was just wondering what your thoughts are on my workout, it is split into 3 days
Day 1 - flat bench press 3 sets
Dumbell fly 2 sets
incline dumbbell press 2 sets
Dumbbell Shoulder raises seated 3 sets
lateral raises 3 sets
Weighted dips 3 sets
Day 2 - 3 sets of chinups until fail
3 sets of bentover row
3 sets of dumbbel lying rear delt row
2 sets of shrugs
3 sets of preacher bicep curls with dumbbells
day 3 - REST
I also do abbs every second day

P.D.
Posted Wed, 06/20/2012 - 23:37

For Monday you have 5 different exercises for the chest at 3/4 sets per exercise. Is this an overkill? I really want great gains; however, will doing these chest exercises over work my chest muscles causing a longer recovery period?

Ed
Posted Sun, 06/24/2012 - 11:14

Hi I was wondering I take hgh and workout my upper body 5 days a week and eat a ton I feel alittle sore but once I'm working out I'm good to go I have gone from 173lbs to 194lbs in a month I have got a lot bigger should I keep going or switch to a routine?

joe
Posted Tue, 06/26/2012 - 11:26

I do 4 total sets per body part...some times 3. Ive been growing steadily..dont believe what you read about 14-16 sets for chest thats just a waste of time to me anyway. The point and the only point is to add more weight or 1 more rep each workout and trail til abosolute failure. I do 1 set of decline currently i did 1 set 285lbs for 7 reps and then did a set of flat decline and flys all trained to failure but not really caring about making progress on those.. as long as im making progress on the decline the rest i just use as a finisher..im not even sure if i need them. I followed dorians yates book blood and guts (think hes on youtube now too) and took some things from H.I.T and mike menzter. Anyhow just my 2 cents...i know what works for me. You have to work balls to the walls though no saving some energy cause thers not 4 more sets coming form that 1 exercise

Paul
Posted Wed, 06/27/2012 - 17:01

Hi and thank u for ur many articles, helped me out a lot.
A friend suggested that i might be over-traing
I'm using ur 4 day split muscle building routine but with cardio added and sometimes restarting routine at 6 days not 7.
A day goes like this:
- 5min run to the gym
- stretching 15min treadmill incline interval walking (moderate intensity)
- chest (as in ur 4 day split routine)
- triceps (as in ur 4 day split routine)
- 4 sets abs knees up + 4 sets obliques (next day 4sets lat dumbell + 4 sets legs up)
- treadmill (1day incline walk / 1 day interval running moderate to high intensity .. when i walk i do abs, when i run i dont)
- back hyperextensions 3-4sets

Mentioning that trying to lose fat and gain mass, this week started to add more proteins to diet and following http://muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/fat-loss

ehsan alidost
Posted Wed, 07/25/2012 - 22:05

hi, i really like this routine, i have over trained my muscles, while on different routines. i worked 3 times a week on chest and two times on other muscles, plus i trained each muscle 5 to 6 exercises...i am toned and i am 5'6" weight 136...a person in the gym told me cut it down, do less exercises and less days.,,,so i really like this routine that is up here, but my goal is to bulk up, the question is will this routine here bulk me up? i eat a lot 5 times a day 3 times protein shake (cytogainer=2 scoop per service)

Jack Lewis
Posted Thu, 07/26/2012 - 13:49

Steve. Is it okay for a teenager to use this workout. Thanks for your help

Robert
Posted Mon, 09/03/2012 - 07:18

Robert

So I like doing yoga on
Most days but I would like to gain more musle mass should I do one or the other or can I do both at the same time

John McKinnie
Posted Tue, 09/04/2012 - 12:13

Hey, I recommend this routine for bulking up. I'm a pretty experienced weight lifter, but my routine and gains had plateaued out so thought I'd give this one a try for a change. I followed it to the letter, plus eating 5 times a day and 3 protein shakes and have put on 21 extra pounds of muscle in about 6 weeks

Matt
Posted Mon, 09/10/2012 - 10:32

Hi guys! Kinda new to this, so I hope I don't sound too daft, but does this mean that I should be training one muscle group well once per week, rather than doing something like training that same muscle group two or three times in the same week? And, not even say better but, IS it a good idea to train a muscle group just once a week?