Wide Grip Pull Up Video Guide4 5 36
- Biceps, Middle Back
- The wide grip pull up is the king of all back building exercises, and all your need is a pull up bar! Grasp the pull up bar with a wider than should with overhand grip.
- Step off the block, or bend at the knees to take your weight off the floor. This is the starting position.
- Look up towards the bar, and slowly pull yourself up until you chin is over the bar.
- Slowly lower yourself back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Pull Up Tips:
- The wide grip pull up is a challenging exercise, but you should definitely work up to doing them. You can increase your strength by doing negative pull ups until you have the strength to knock out 3-4 sets of 10-12.
- If you find your forearms burning during the set, use a "hook" grip. This is where your thumbs go over the bar rather than under.
- Make sure you pull up all the way, and lower down all the way. Using a full range of motion is the hardest way of doing wide grip pull ups, but will give you the best results.
- Again, the mind-muscle connection is important with this exercise. Focus on your lats doing the work, pulling towards the center of your body as you pull up.