- 2008 NPC LA July 3rd tall class
- 2008 NPC TX Nov 6th tall class
- NPC Southern States 6th tall class
- INBF Alamo Showdown Classic 1st Tall class and won overall; earned WNBF Pro card
What is your background, and how did you get started in Ms Fit Body competitions?
Background in track from high school; but was always interested in building muscle... decided to quit running so much (HA). Was doing ultrarunning for almost 10 years. Devoted more time to gym training and got my personal training cert in May 2008.
What is your training philosophy?
Same training on and off… consistency is the most important thing. I lift as heavy as I can for only 8-10 reps. Do 2-3 drop sets a workout.
What workout works best for you?
- Monday: Legs. Walking barbell lunge, deadlift, leg curl, leg extension, plie DB squat...all 4 sets 8 reps moderately heavy weight.
- Tuesday: Back. Very wide grip pull-ups, wide grip lat pulldown, machine or barbell rowback extension, free motion lat...all 4 sets 8 reps.
- Wednesday: Chest. Incline db press, incline barbell press, hammer strength flat chest, Machine or DB flye...all 4 sets 8 reps. Decline male pushup to failure.
- Thursday: Shoulders. Single arm lateral, machine laterals, hammer strength press, upright barbell row, plate front raise...all 4 sets of 8.
- Friday: Can be a rest day; but not necessarily.
- Saturday: Arms and stair running. Dips - up to 70 lb on lap, close grip bench, rope pressdown, lying DB curl, reverse curl, double arm cable curl...all 3 sets of 8.
- Sunday: Can be rest day or 4 mile run.
What are your 3 favorite exercises?
- Pullups - True strength exercise.
- Deadlifts - Great compound movement.
- Laterals - Increase shoulder width.
Any other info you would like to add about training?
Rest is very important. 8 hours a night.
What is your philosophy on nutrition?
Eat healthy 80-90% of time to prevent having to lose a bunch of weight!
Give us a typical day in your diet (off season):
Larger portions but healthy food.
Give us a typical day in your diet (Contest Prep):
What are your favorite meals and foods?
Favorite cheat food?
I actually like to eat healthy so I don’t feel deprived, but I’ll eat a sundae from McDonalds once a wk :)
Any other info you would like to add about diet and nutrition?
It is truly 80%. You eat many times in 16 hours. It's all about making healthy choices.
What supplement(s) do you use that give you great results? How do you use them?
- Protein powder for extra protein when dieting. Use throughout day. Tightens you up, along with reduced carbs.
- Scivation Xtend - A good glutamine supplement.
- MVI - Covers you when on a restricted diet.
Advice For Others
What are the 3 best tips you'd give to women thinking about competing in Ms Fit Body?
- Consistency with training.
- Consistency with diet.
- SLEEP! :)
What’s your best tip for looking your best on competition day?
Sleep! And looking best on competition day is again consistency! J
What shows have you got coming up, where can we see you compete?
My first WNBF pro show (yikes), Natural North American in Arlington, VA, May 22.
What would you like to achieve in your Ms Fit Body career?
Just be the best I can be. Motivate others as a personal training and I am also a Registered Dietitian.
- Marie Ann Newman
- Rachel Baker
- Theresa Evans