- Select the desired resistance on the weight stack and insert the pin.
- Adjust the seat so that the knees are directly in line with the axis of the machine.
- Sit down and position one shin behind the pad at the base of the machine.
- Take a deep breath and extend your leg as you flex your quadricep.
- As you lock out the knee, exhale to complete the repetition.
- Slowly lower your foot back to the starting position and repeat for the desired number of repetitions on both sides.
- Ensure the axis of rotation for the knee directly matches that of the machine. In other words, the point of rotation for the machine should be in line with your knee joint itself. If the knee is positioned too far in front or behind the axis of rotation, there will be excessive stress added to the joint which could cause significant injury.
- Typically extensions should not be done excessively heavy due to the lack of hamstring co-contraction with the quads. When one occurs in isolation it could present an injury risk to the knee if done with excessive weight.
- Pointing the toes can help to enhance mind muscle connection.