- The seated dumbbell calf raise is another good exercise for those who don't have access to a seated calf raise machine. Set up by placing a step or block at the end of a flat bench.
- Next, grasp a pair of dumbbells and sit on the end of the bench.
- Put the balls of your feet on the edge of the step/block and rest the ends of the dumbbells on your thighs close to your knees.
- Let your heels drop as far as possible without hitting the floor. This is the starting position.
- Slowly raise your heels off the floor as far as possible.
- Squeeze the calves and pause, and then slowly lower your heals back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Don't let your heels touch the floor at any time throughout the exercise.
- Pause and squeeze the calves for a count of 1-2 at the top of the movement to add intensity.