One Leg Seated Dumbbell Calf Raise Instructions
- The one leg seated dumbbell calf raise is another good exercise for those who don't have access to a seated calf raise machine or want to even out strength in their calves.
- Set up by placing a step or block at the end of a flat bench.
- Next, grasp a dumbbell and sit on the end of the bench.
- Put the ball of your left foot on the edge of the step/block and rest the end of the dumbbell on your thigh close to your knee.
- Let your heel drop as far as possible without hitting the floor. This is the starting position.
- Slowly raise your heel off the floor as far as possible.
- Squeeze the calf and pause. Then slowly lower back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps, and then do the same for the right leg.
- Always work your weakest leg first. In most cases this is the left.
- Don't let the heel touch the floor at any point throughout the set.
- Pause and squeeze the calf muscle at the top of the movement for a count of 1-2 for added intensity.