- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypeIsometric
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Abs, Hamstrings, Quads, Shoulders, Traps, Upper Back
Fat Gripz Dumbbell Farmers Carry Overview
The Fat Gripz dumbbell farmers carry is a variation of the farmers carry and an exercise used to build the muscles of the forearms. The Fat Gripz dumbbell farmers carry will also indirectly target the muscles of the core and traps.
The Fat Gripz used during Fat Gripz dumbbell farmers carry makes the grip on the dumbbell larger and more difficult to hold. This in turn provides a greater forearm stimulus to help you build bigger forearms.
Fat Gripz Dumbbell Farmers Carry Instructions
- Wrap a set of fat gripz around a pair of dumbbells and grasp them using a neutral grip.
- While maintaining an active shoulder position, hold the dumbbells by your side and walk for a designated distance or amount of time.
Fat Gripz Dumbbell Farmers Carry Tips
- When setting up for the lift, ensure you take a good deep breath to set your shoulder position. The weight will drive your shoulders into scapular depression so you want to ensure that your shoulders are set in a good position prior to lifting the weight.
- If performing a unilateral carry variation, ensure that you’re not leaning to one side as you complete the movement.
- Shrug the shoulders just slightly. Not enough so that it takes above a position of neutral but just enough to offset the weight pulling your shoulders down.
- Walk slowly and ensure a heel-toe pattern.
- Stabilize the weight and don’t allow it to drive you into overextension.
- Continue to breath throughout the exercise and don’t rely upon respiration for spinal stabilization.