Abs, Hamstrings, Lower Back, Quads, Shoulders, Traps, Upper Back
Dumbbell Farmers Carry Instructions
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand using a neutral grip and stand up straight.
- While maintaining an active shoulder position, hold the dumbbells by your side and walk for a designated distance or amount of time.
Dumbbell Farmers Carry Tips
- When setting up for the lift, ensure you take a good deep breath to set your shoulder position. The weight will drive your shoulders into scapular depression so you want to ensure that your shoulders are set in a good position prior to lifting the weight.
- If performing an unilateral carry variation, ensure that you’re not leaning to one side as you complete the movement.
- Shrug the shoulders just slightly. Not enough so that it takes above a position of neutral but just enough to offset the weight pulling your shoulders down.
- Walk slowly and ensure a heel-toe pattern.
- Stabilize the weight and don’t allow it to drive you into overextension.
- Continue to breath throughout the exercise and don’t rely upon respiration for spinal stabilization.