- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypeIsometric
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Abs, Hamstrings, Lower Back, Quads, Shoulders, Traps, Upper Back
Dumbbell Farmers Carry Overview
The farmers carry is a total body exercise that builds strength in the forearms, traps, and core.
Carries are a foundational movement pattern and are important to include in your workout routines to build optimal strength.
The movement works through isometric contraction on the forearms and traps. It also provides a core challenge as you try to maintain a stable spine while walking the prescribed distance.
The farmers carry can be included in nearly any workout routine.
Dumbbell Farmers Carry Instructions
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand using a neutral grip and stand up straight.
- While maintaining an active shoulder position, hold the dumbbells by your side and walk for a designated distance or amount of time.
Dumbbell Farmers Carry Tips
- When setting up for the lift, ensure you take a good deep breath to set your shoulder position. The weight will drive your shoulders into scapular depression so you want to ensure that your shoulders are set in a good position prior to lifting the weight.
- If performing an unilateral carry variation, ensure that you’re not leaning to one side as you complete the movement.
- Shrug the shoulders just slightly. Not enough so that it takes above a position of neutral but just enough to offset the weight pulling your shoulders down.
- Walk slowly and ensure a heel-toe pattern.
- Stabilize the weight and don’t allow it to drive you into overextension.
- Continue to breath throughout the exercise and don’t rely upon respiration for spinal stabilization.