Abs, Adductors, Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back
Follow the instructions below for the wide hack squat. In the section below we've included some wide hack squat tips to help you get the most out of the exercise.
- Load the machine with the desired weight and position your shoulders and back against the pads.
- Position your feet outside of shoulder width, extend your legs, and release the safety handles.
- Slowly lower the weight by bending your knees until your thighs are approximately at 90 degrees.
- Reverse the movement by driving into the platform and extending the knees and hips.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Wide Hack Squat Tips From Our Coaches:
- To keep tension on the quads, keep the knees just shy of lockout.
- In order to emphasize the glutes more, push through the heels.
- In order to emphasize the quads more, push through the balls of the feet.
- Don’t allow the hips to posteriorly tilt and roll off the pad.
- Keep your low back flat against the pad throughout the movement.
- Ensure the head does not jut forward excessively.
- Self spotting is possible by simply applying pressure to the knees with the hands. Use only when necessary.
- Toe angle is individual and will depend upon each individual’s hip anatomy and ankle mobility - experiment and adjust based upon feel.