- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Biceps, Middle Back
Underhand Close Grip Lat Pulldown Instructions
The underhand close grip lat pulldown is similar to the regular close grip lat pulldown, but the underhand grip means that your biceps are more involved in the exercise.
- Set up for the underhand close grip lat pull by attaching a small straight bar to the machine (you can use the wide grip bar if you prefer), setting the weight on the stack, and adjusting the knee pad.
- Grab the bar with an underhand grip, with your hands around 10-12 inches apart.
- Sit down on the machine with your arms fully outstretched. This is the starting position.
- Keeping your back and body straight, slowly pull the weight down to your upper chest.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the weight back to the start position. Do not let the stack drop.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Underhand Close Grip Lat Pulldown Tips
- Keep your elbows tucked in by your side when pulling the weight down.
- Don't lean back at any time. Leaning back makes the exercise easier - it's cheating!
- Control the weight at all times - don't let it drop quickly.
- To add extra intensity pause for a count of 2 at the bottom of the movement squeezing through the lats.
- Focus on squeezing the lats to move the weight. Your forearms should only be responsible for holding the weight.