- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Toes In Leg Extension Instructions
- The toes in leg extension is a variation of the regular leg extension that will emphasize the outer thigh. Sit on the leg extension machine and adjust it so that the leg pad sits on your ankles.
- Then adjust the back rest so that your knees are just off the end of the seat.
- Select the weight you want to use on the stack. Secure yourself in the machine and point your toes inward towards one another.
- Take the weight off the stack by extending your legs slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Holding onto the handles for stability, and bending at the knees only, extend your legs out as far as possible.
- Hold for a count of 1 while squeezing your quads, and then slowly lower back to the starting position.
- The weight should not touch the stack.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Use a slow and controlled movement - do not "kick" the weights up.
- Pause at the top of the movement and squeeze your quads. This adds intensity to the leg extension.
- Leg extensions can be used as a pre-exhaust exercise for squats or other big compound movements. It is also used for the second exercise in compound/isolation supersets.
- Do not drop your toes down and back beyond your knees. At no point should your knees track out over your toes as it causes undue stress on the knee joints.