- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Toes In 45 Degree Calf Raise Instructions
- Load the desired weight on a 45 degree leg press and sit down on the seat.
- Place the balls of your feet on the bottom edge of the foot plate and twist your ankles so that your feet are pointing in at one another.
- Push the weight up and disengage the weight platform from the safety using the handles by your sides.
- Slowly allow your toes to come back as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your legs straight, slowly push your toes up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the calf muscles, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- The reason you point your toes in for this exercise is to emphasize the outer calf. Whether this technique is effective for outer calf training is still being debated amongst lifters.
- Make sure the balls of your feet are right on the edge of the foot plate. If you position them further in the exercise becomes easier.
- Use a full range of motion by allowing your toes to come right back and then raising them as far as possible.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight - don't bounce!