- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Behind-The-Back Barbell Wrist Curl Instructions
- Begin the exercise by selecting a barbell weight and holding it behind your back using an underhand grip (palms facing out). Your hands should be placed around shoulder-width apart.
- Stand straight up with your feet shoulder-width apart. Bending only at the wrists, let the barbell drop as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly raise the barbell as far as possible squeezing the forearm muscles at the top of the movement. Only your wrists should be moving.
- Pause and slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Behind-The-Back Barbell Wrist Curl Tips
- Prioritize using lighter weight to focus on proper technique. It doesn't take heavy weight to make this exercise effective.
- For added intensity: Keep the rep timing slow, and pause/squeeze the forearms for a count of two at the top of the movement.
- Use a full range of motion by allowing the weight to drop as far as possible at the bottom of the movement.
- When finished, lower the bar to a rack or bend at the knees and lower it to the floor.