- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypeIsometric
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Split Stance Cable Chop Overview
The split stance cable chop is a variation of the cable wood chop and an exercise used to target the muscles of the obliques.
The isometric split stance used during split stance cable chops provides an additional core challenge as one must stabilize themselves in the split stance while performing the exercise.
Split Stance Cable Chop Instructions
- Assume a split stance position and attach a rope to a cable stack overhead.
- Position the inside leg in hip flexion and set up with both hands grasping the rope at roughly shoulder width apart.
- Exhale, rotate the rope across your body, and chop to the down knee.
- Return to the starting position, repeat for the desired number of repetitions, and then switch sides.
Split Stance Cable Chop Tips
- Crunch slightly and ensure that you exhale as you rotate.
- You can also utilize a bar attachment if you don’t have access to a rope but this variation with require slightly different cueing - extend the bottom elbow, then horizontally press the bar to extension with the top elbow as you rotate.
Setup with the inside knee up relative to the cable stack.
- Always chop to the down leg.
- The rotation should be a crossbody pattern, think about moving diagonally rather than up and down.