Smith Machine One Leg Calf Raise Instructions
- Set the bar on the smith machine to around shoulder height and rack up the weight you want to use.
- Grab a step or calf block and put it below the bar.
- Step up on the block and position your left foot in the center of the block with the ball of your foot on the edge.
- Hook your right foot around your left.
- Grasp the smith bar with a wide grip and position it across the top of your back muscles (not across the back of your neck!).
- Push up to take the weight off the rack and slowly let your heel drop down as far as possible. This is the starting position.
- Slowly raise your left heel as far as you can off the floor.
- Squeeze the calf muscle, and then slowly lower your heel back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps, and then repeat for the right leg.
- As a general rule, always work the weakest side of your body first. For most people this is their left.
- Use the longest range of motion possible by raising and lowering your heel as far as possible.
- Squeeze the calf muscle and hold for a count of 2-3 at the top for the movement to add some extra intensity.