- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredCable
- Force TypePull
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
Seated Cable Shrug Instructions
- Set up for the seated cable shrug by attaching a V-bar to a low pulley cable machine.
- Select the amount of weight on the stack and sit down facing the machine with your feet about shoulder width apart. You can press your feet against the machine for stability.
- Grasp the bar with an neutral grip and keep your back straight.
- Keeping your arms out in front of your body, let your shoulders "sag" as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly shrug your shoulders up as far as possible.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the weight back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Focus on lifting the weight with your traps and not your biceps.
- Pausing at the top of the cable shrug makes the exercise more challenging and you'll get more out of it. Try and pause for a count of 1-3 at the top of each rep.