Seated Bradford Press (AKA Seated Rocky Press) Instructions
- Adjust the barbell to just below shoulder height then load the desired weight onto the bar.
- Place an adjustable bench beneath the bar in an upright position.
- Sit down on the bench and unrack the bar using a pronated grip..
- Inhale, brace, and press the bar three quarters of the way to lockout.
- Allow the bar to come back down behind the neck, then press three quarters of the way to lockout.
- Repeat this cyclical process for the desired number of repetitions.
Seated Bradford Press (AKA Seated Rocky Press) Tips
- Reach tall at the top and don’t worry about keeping the shoulders packed down and back.
- Fight to control the bar from rolling your wrists into extension and think about “rolling your knuckles toward the ceiling.”
- Keep momentum out of the movement and don’t add any additional leg drive by flexing and extending the knees.
- Squeeze your glutes and brace your abs as you press. You shouldn’t be leaning back excessively as you press.
- Imagine you’re trying to look out a window at the top, your ears should be in line with your biceps.
- If your shoulders are bothering you during the movement, consider experimenting with a wider grip or utilizing some of the vertical pressing progressions listed on the site.