- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredMachine
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
One-Leg Smith Machine Seated Calf Raise Instructions
- Set up for the one-leg smith machine seated calf raise by placing a flat bench in the smith machine and putting a step or calf Block under the bar.
- Lower the bar and add the weight you want to use.
- Sit on the end of the bench with your feet and knees together and place your left foot on the block with the balls of your feet on the edge.
- Take the bar off the rack and rest it on your left thigh.
- Allow your heel to drop as far as possible without touching the floor. This is the exerting position.
- Execute the movement by raising your heel up as far as possible.
- Squeeze the calf muscle, and then slowly lower your heel back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps, and then repeat on the right leg.
One-Leg Smith Machine Seated Calf Raise Tips
- This exercise is great for those without access to a seated calf raise machine.
- Always work your weakest leg first. For most people, this will be their left leg.
- Keep the rep timing slow and focus on the upward contraction and downward stretch.
- Pause and squeeze the muscle at the top of the movement.