- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Target Muscle Group
One Arm Standing Arnold Press Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by grabbing a dumbbell and standing straight up with your feet around shoulder width apart.
- Raise the dumbbells with your left hand to shoulder height, and twist so that the palm of your hand is facing your body.
- The dumbbell should now be positioned in front of your left shoulder.. Your back should be straight and there should be a slight bend in your knees. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your eyes facing forwards, slowly raise the dumbbell above your head while turning your wrist so that your palm is now facing forward (away from your body).
- Keep raising the weight until your arm is almost fully extended.
- Do not pause at the top of the movement, and begin lowering the dumbbell back down to the starting position - twisting at the wrist until your palm is facing your body once again.
- Repeat this movement for the desired amount of reps, and then repeat with your right arm.
- Always use a full range of motion and control the dumbbells throughout the set.
- Many lifters let their form go and add weight too quickly. This will at times result in an injury and could hinder your shoulder gains.
- If you have lower back problems, it is best to perform this exercise seated with a back rest.