Standing Arnold Press Instructions
- Set up for the exercise by grabbing a pair of dumbbells and standing straight up with your feet around shoulder width apart.
- Raise the dumbbells to shoulder height on each side, and twist so that your palms are facing your body.
- The dumbbells should now be positioned in front of your shoulders. Your back should be straight and there should be a slight bend in your knees. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your eyes facing forwards, slowly raise the dumbbells above your head while turning your wrists so that your palms are now facing forward (away from your body).
- Keep raising the weight until your arms are almost fully extended.
- Do not pause at the top of the movement, and begin lowering the dumbbells back down to the starting position - twisting at the wrist until your palms are facing your body once again.
- Repeat this movement for the desired amount of reps.
Arnold Press Tips:
- Always use a full range of motion and control the dumbbells throughout the set.
- Many lifters let their form go and add weight too quickly. This will at times result in an injury and could hinder your shoulder gains.
- If you have lower back problems, it is best to perform this exercise seated, with a back rest.