One Arm Dumbbell Upright Row Instructions
- The dumbbell upright row is one of the best exercises for building the upper traps and shoulders. Choose a dumbbell and stand with your feet at around shoulder width apart.
- Grab the dumbbell with an overhand grip (palms facing down) with your left hand and place it on your thigh.
- Your left hand should be just inside shoulder width and there should be a slight bend in your elbow. Keeping your back straight and eyes facing forwards, lift the dumbbell straight up while keeping it as close to your body as possible (you should pull the dumbbell up to around chest height- nearly touching your chin).
- Pause, and then slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps and then repeat with your right arm.
- Focus on keeping your elbows higher than your forearms. The elbows push the motion.
- Keep your body fixed throughout the set. Don't lean forward as you lower the dumbbells, and back as you raise them. Movement of the body makes the upright row easier, and you will not get the most out of it.
- Pause and squeeze the traps at the top of the movement, and then lower the dumbbells really slowly if you want to add a bit of intensity to the exercise.