- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeWarmup
- Equipment RequiredBodyweight
- Force TypeDynamic Stretching
- Experience LevelBeginner
- Secondary Muscles
Knee Break Ankle Mobilization Overview
The knee break ankle mobilization is a dynamic stretching drill used to increase the mobility of your ankles.
Utilize the knee break ankle mobilization as part of your warm up routine before your leg workouts.
Knee Break Ankle Mobilization Instructions
- In an upright position, position a plate underneath the upper portion of your foot.
- Keep your torso erect but bend the knees and allow the ankles to flex as your weight is shifted slightly forward.
- Once you run out of range of motion in your ankles, extend the knees back to the start position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Knee Break Ankle Mobilization Tips
- Experiment with moving dynamically over one leg versus another or shifting side to side once the knees are bent.
- Once you reach end range, focus on contracting the muscle on the anterior portion of your shin (tibialis anterior) to improve control through that new range of motion.
- As you progress into using this stretch more routinely, try to resist looking down and learn to control position through kinesthetic awareness rather than visual input.