Dragon Flag Overview
The dragon flag is a variation of the lying leg raise and an exercise used to strengthen the abdominal muscles.
The dragon flag utilizes a slow and controlled eccentric to force the core to stabilize the spine and build core strength.
Dragon Flag Instructions
- Set up in a supine position on a bench with your hands grasping the bench overhead on either side of the bench.
- Initiate the movement by thinking about moving through the belly button to slowly roll your body off the bench at the shoulders.
- Raise your body to roughly 45 degrees and then slowly lower back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Dragon Flag Tips
- Start with reverse crunches and lying leg raises to progress into a dragon flag. If you still can’t complete a full dragon flag then work on just the eccentric portion - complete a leg raise until the hips are completely flexed and then drive your feet toward the ceiling until your body is in a straight line. Then lower back to the normal start position of a dragon flag and repeat.
- Don’t pull excessively into the bench with your arms as this will place excess strain upon your cervical spine.
- Fight the urge to overextend and allow your lower back to arch.
- Squeeze your glutes and abs and focus on keeping a straight line from your ankles through your shoulders.