- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredDumbbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings
Target Muscle Group
Bench One Leg Dumbbell Squat Instructions
- Set up for the bench one leg dumbbell squat by choosing a dumbbell and placing a flat bench near a smith machine or something that you can hold on to for stability.
- With the dumbbell in your right hand stand securely on the bench and grab hold of the smith machine with your left hand.
- Holding the dumbbell down at your side with your right arm fully extended, lift your right foot off the bench and stick it out in front of you as far as comfortably possible. This is the starting position.
- Begin the movement by bending at the left knee and lowering your body.
- Squat down until your left thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Using your heel to drive into the bench, push your body back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps and then repeat while holding the dumbbell in your left hand and using your right leg.
- This exercise requires a good deal of balance and is not recommended for those with balance issues. Be sure to learn the movement using very light weight or your body weight.
- Do not use the arm holding on for support to aid in lifting your body. Focus on pushing your weight with your quads and hamstrings.
- Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.