- Target Muscle Group
- Exercise TypeStrength
- Equipment RequiredBarbell
- Force TypePush
- Experience LevelIntermediate
- Secondary Muscles
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings, Lower Back
Target Muscle Group
Barbell Side Split Squat Instructions
- Load a barbell with the appropriate amount of weight and position the bar so that it is resting on the muscles on the top of your back, not on the back of your neck.
- The bar should feel comfortable. If it doesn't, try adding some padding to the bar. Now take your hands over the back and grip the bar with a wide grip for stability.
- Stand with your back straight and a slight bend in your knees. Keep your head up, eyes looking forward and feet far apart in a wide stance. You are now in the starting position.
- Squat down through your hips to your left side bending only at your left knee. Keep your torso straight and head up.
- Push yourself back to the starting position by using your heal to drive you.
- Repeat this movement to your right side and then repeat for desired reps.
- This exercise requires a good deal of balance and is not recommended for those with balance issues.
- Keep your head up and back straight throughout the exercise. Never allow your back to round.